Prosciutto wrapped asparagus is one of the easiest and most delicious asparagus dishes I know!
Just a handful of ingredients with a bunch of flavor. Want to know how to make this recipe? Read on.
How to make Prosciutto wrapped Asparagus
Firstly you need to get your hands on some fresh asparagus which are a delight in themselves. After a quick rinse to wash off any dirt, remove the tough, woody end. Now the easiest way to do this is to bend the end of the asparagus until it snaps. The break is at just the point where tender meets tough. Isn’t nature wonderful?
Once the asparagus is prepared, simply toss gently in a little extra virgin olive oil.
The second important part of this recipe is the prosciutto. Freshly sliced prosciutto has a wonderful aroma and flavour. However if you can only find prepackaged prosciutto, use that. It will still be delicious. Cut each slice in half lengthwise.
Starting just under the tip of the asparagus, wind the strips of prosciutto around the spears. Because the prosciutto is thin it will stick to the spears.
Finally arrange the prosciutto wrapped asparagus in one layer on a baking tray. Pop under a hot grill or broiler until the prosciutto is crisp and the asparagus is tender.
Now the prosciutto wrapped asparagus are ready. A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon is all that is needed.
Of course, prosciutto wrapped asparagus are perfect served along side roast chicken but why not serve these with drinks before dinner? I can’t think of anything better!
This is such an easy recipe that I hope you will make prosciutto wrapped asparagus really soon.
Prosciutto wrapped Asparagus
- 20 fresh asparagus
- 10 slices prosciutto as much as you need see notes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- extra virgin olive oil and lemon
- Rinse asparagus to remove any dirt that may be clinging.
- Bend the ends until the snap to remove the tough, woody part. Trim if you think it's necessary.
- Drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil into a pan and toss the asparagus gently in the oil to coat lightly.
- Cut slices of prosciutto in half lengthwise.
- Taking one half length of prosciutto and beginning just under the tip of the asparagus, wrap prosciutto down the spear. Place on a baking tray and repeat with remaining asparagus and prosciutto.
- Arrange in one layer on the baking tray.
- Turn the oven grill (broiler) on high.
- Place the tray of asparagus under the grill (broiler). Have the tray about 7.5cm (3 inches) away from the grill (broiler).
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn asparagus and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Prosciutto should be crispy and asparagus tender.
- Serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Prosciutto need for this recipe is approximately one slice for every two asparagus. So if you have twenty asparagus spears you will need ten slices of prosciutto.
- This recipe can be prepared 6 hours ahead of time up to step 6. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to cook.