My Slower Cooker Chicken Stock is so good and so easy you’ll want to be making it all the time.
Plus it freezes so well you will never be without. Let me show you how to make and use this delicious chicken stock.
Me and Chicken Stock go way back!
Every week when my dad was alive he would put on two enormous pots of beef and chicken stock. It would simmer away all morning until golden and rich. We called this delicious stock “brodo”. We would have it as a light broth with some small pasta in it and Parmesan cheese.
But it was also the key ingredient in all of dad’s more substantial soups, risotto, pasta sauce and his casseroles of varying types. I wrote about it some time ago. You can read about my dad and his brodo here.From dad, I learnt the importance of a good stock.
How to make Slow Cooker Chicken Stock.
This Slow Cooker Chicken Stock is so easy to make it’s almost not a recipe.
- Put all the ingredients into the slow cooker
- Cook on low for hours
- Strain and clarify
- Use right away or freeze
That’s it! Truly, it couldn’t be more simple. However my biggest tip to good Slow Cooker Chicken Stock is to strain and then clarify well. That means pass the strained stock through a muslin cloth or similar. The result is a clear stock still with all the goodness.
Be sure to try my amazing butterfly chicken recipe as well, it is surprisingly easy and delicious.
What do you do with all this Chicken Stock?
Well, let me tell you chicken stock is the most valuable ingredient in the kitchen. I like to freeze it in small and large quantities for versatility.
Then I have yummy Slow Cooker Chicken Stock ready for:-
- broth in which you can cook some small pasta or small ravioli to make a delicious light soup.
- the essential stock for risotto
- chicken stock to add to my Ragù Pasta Sauce
- the base of more substantial soups like minestrone
- and any dish that calls for package chicken stock or chicken cubes like curries or paella
I’m sure you are now thinking of all the times you use chicken stock and how this would be great to have in your freezer. When you make your own Slow Cooker Chicken Stock not only is it easy but you know what goes into it. And it’s not all those ingredients you can’t pronounce and numbers that you find on many packaged chicken stocks especially the powders and cubes.
Slow Cooker Chicken Stock contains just wholesome ingredients to make your meals better.
Until next time.
Slow Cooker Chicken Stock
- 1 kg chicken wings
- 2 litres water
- 1 onion peeled and cut in half
- 1 carrot cut into large pieces
- 2 celery stalks tops included
- 1 garlic clove peeled
- 4 parsley stalks
- a few peppercorns
- a bayleaf
- 3 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Place all the ingredients into a slow cooker. Turn onto low and cook for 10 hours. Alternatively cook on high for 5 hours.
- Strain. Then if you want to clarify further pass the strained stock through a muslin cloth or similar. Of course, place a large bowl underneath to catch the precious liquid.
- Use immediately or freeze in portions for 3 months.
- This will make 2 litres because no liquid is lost using the slow cooker.
- It can be simmered very, very slowly on the stove for 4 or 5 hours but you may need to replace some water. If you use the stove top method be sure to remove the scum that rises to the top.
- Use this wonderful broth as my father would have…in risotto, casseroles, pasta sauces and soups or just as a flavourful broth. Freeze it and have great broth always on hand. It really is the secret to great cooking.
- Quantities can be adjusted if you have a smaller or larger slow cooker. Just keep in mind 500g of chicken wings for every litre of water. Add vegetables as desired.