If you have never made Homemade Crackers, now is your chance!
You won’t believe how easy these homemade crackers are. The thing is, these crackers are so delicious and look so good, you’ll want to make them again and again.
If you’ve ever walked into those food stores with all the artisan breads, cheese and that type of thing, you would have seen some fancy crackers. Wow, those crackers are so expensive! Sure, everything else in there is too but heck, crackers are so easy to make. I can’t believe they charge those prices.
Why make crackers when you can easily buy them from the store?
Firstly, making your own homemade crackers is so inexpensive. And we all like good things that are inexpensive.
Secondly you know what goes into the crackers that you make. There are no preservatives or artificial flavours or colours in this recipe. You know exactly what your family is eating. These homemade crackers use basic pantry essentials – flour, baking powder and olive oil.
Finally, what I really love is that these homemade crackers can be made to suit YOU. I like using pecorino (romano) cheese and freshly, ground black pepper because the flavours remind me of the classic Italian pasta dish – Cacio e Pepe. But I have made rosemary crackers, fennel and garlic crackers, plain salted crackers and more.
So this Homemade Cracker recipe is super versatile.
I always suggest making a recipe as written the first time. However once you have mastered this recipe as I have written it feel free to experiment. Why not omit the cheese and pepper and add rosemary and garlic instead. Or sesame, poppy or fennel seeds. What about a shake of paprika or chilli? The choice is yours.
While I’ve used white plain flour to make these crackers, there is no reason why you can’t use part wholemeal flour or even spelt flour instead. You may need to adjust the amount of water to get the dough just right.
So many options with this cracker recipe.
I’ve made crackers before using a pasta machine to roll the dough thinly which made great crackers. What I like about this recipe is that the dough is so soft and rolls out easily. With just a bowl and a spoon to mix and a rolling pin to roll, nothing could be easier.
These Homemade Crackers keep well.
The best way to store these crackers is in an airtight container for up to a week. If you want to keep homemade crackers for longer, freeze in a well sealed airtight container for up to one month. To defrost, allow to come to room temperature without opening the container. Crackers can be refreshed in a moderate oven for a few minute, if necessary.
I’m not going to tell you I only keep homemade crackers in my pantry and never buy store bought, but I should. Why?
Because, homemade crackers are –
- Delicious with cheese and a glass of wine
- Perfect with a bowl of minestrone soup
- Make a great after school snack
- Excellent on an antipasto platter, maybe with marinated eggplant
- A wonderful homemade gift – package in cellophane bags
Whenever I make these crackers, I find myself unable to resist munching. Yes, these homemade crackers are addictive.
Try a batch and see for yourself. Let me know if you can resist.
Homemade Crackers – resistance is futile!
Homemade Crackers with pecorino cheese and black pepper
- 1 ¾ cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 45 grams finely grated pecorino
- 1 teaspoons black pepper
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 230C/450F. Place 2 baking trays in oven to heat.
Make the dough
- In a bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt, pecorino and black pepper.
- Add water and extra virgin olive oil. Mix with a wooden spoon until the dough comes together.
- Turn onto a work surface and knead gently for a minute or so until smooth.
How to roll out the dough
- Cut into 3 portions
- Take one portion of dough and roll out on non stick baking paper dusting the surface with a little flour if it is sticking.
- Roll out very thinly. About 30cm/ 12in round. You can roll an oblong shape if you prefer. It will be about 25cm/10in x 35cm/14in. Be sure to roll the dough very thinly to ensure it cooks quickly and become crispy.
- Brush dough lightly with extra virgin olive and sprinkle with flaky salt.
Baking the crackers
- Carefully lift the dough, including paper, onto hot baking tray in the oven.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until crispy and browned.
- While first cracker is baking, roll out the second and third portions of dough and repeat baking.
- Allow to cool before breaking into smaller pieces and serving with cheese, dips or as a snack.
- make the recipe as written before making your own adjustments
- try parmesan cheese instead of pecorino
- change the herbs - maybe rosemary
- up the spices - 2 teaspoons of black pepper?
- change the spice - paprika. chilli, cumin
- add powdered garlic or fresh garlic
- substitute some white wheat flour for wholewheat flour or spelt
- reduce the oil a little for a firmer dough and less crumbly cracker
- fennel and garlic - omit cheese and pepper instead add 2 teaspoons fennel seeds and 1 teaspoon powdered garlic