Sfinge are a delicious fried dough treat rolled in sugar and cinnamon. These are made with ricotta and are absolutely amazing.
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups all purpose plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup ricotta well drained
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- vegetable oil for frying
To coat sfinge
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot and attached a deep fry thermometer to the side. Heat the oil to 365F/185C.
- In the meantime make the batter. Heat the sugar and milk in a medium saucepan, stirring occasionally until the sugar is dissolved and the milk is hot. Remove from heat add in the vanilla extract.
- In bowl whisk the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk the eggs and the ricotta into the milk mixture then tip the milk/egg/ricotta mixture into the flour and whisk to combine.
- Before you start frying mix the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl ready to roll the sfinge.
- Prepare a tray lined with paper towels ready to drain the sfinge.
- Once the oil is at the correct temperature, use two teaspoons to scoop and push the batter into the hot oil. Don't overcrowd the pan. Fry for about 5 minute until the sfinge are well browned.
- Remove and drain on the paper towels then roll in cinnamon sugar