Blueberry Compote is so easy and quick to make and is a great way to enjoy the benefits of this wonderful berry!!
Using just 3 ingredients, blueberry compote is ready in less than 15 minutes!! This is an ideal topping for breakfast, desserts and cake.
Table of Contents
Why you'll love this recipe
Blueberry compote is the easiest way to enjoy nature's most loved superfood. While blueberries are delicious eaten fresh, once heated, the berries release all their juices and soften into a sweet sauce.
A compote is a simple sauce of whole or pieces of fruit briefly cooked in a syrup. Fresh, frozen and dried fruit all make delicious compote. When apple season arrives, apple compote is a delicious variation. Then try my dried fruit compote for a winter treat.
For complete ingredient quantities and full instructions, please scroll to the printable recipe card bottom of the page.
Here's all that you will need for this recipe.
- Blueberries - I prefer to use fresh blueberries. Choose blueberries that are plump, smooth and have unbroken skin. The slivery coating on blueberries is perfectly normal. Check the container. If there are stains, it usually means that the berries are bruised. Extra berries can be used to make these my Mini Fruit Tarts or these Blueberry Lemon Bars.
- Granulate sugar - regular white sugar is fine. You can also use raw or brown sugar if you prefer.
- Lemon Juice - just a squeeze of fresh lemon juice balances the sweetness however it's not entirely necessary.
- Blueberries - frozen blueberries can be used instead. When using frozen berries there is no need to thaw before cooking. However, be sure to allow extra cooking time.
- Granulated sugar - honey, maple syrup or your favorite sweetener can be used instead.
- Lemon juice - substitute a splash of bottled lemon juice.
Try adding extra flavors such as:-
- Finely grated lemon zest
- Finely grated orange zest
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- Teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Splash of rum, brandy or grand marnier (adult version)
Ready in less that 15 minutes from start to finish, this blueberry compote is a must have when blueberry are plentiful and cheap.
- Combine blueberries, sugar and lemon juice.
- Cook gently over medium heat for 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally until juices have been released and fruit has softened.
Tips for success and FAQ's
For best results, stir regularly so that the fruit doesn't burn. At first, the mixture will seem dry but very soon the blueberries will release juices and won't be a such a risk of burning.
Be sure to taste the compote to check for sweetness. If the blueberries are sweet, you won't need anymore sugar. If the blueberries are not quite ripe, you may need to add a little extra sugar to your taste.
Yes, simple allow a little extra time for the blueberries to thaw and thicken.
No, there isn't enough sugar to sufficiently preserve the compote. However it can be frozen if you need to keep it longer.
The syrup will thicken on cooling. However if you prefer and even thicker compote, mix ½ teaspoon of cornstarch (cornflour) with 1 teaspoon of water and add this mixture (while stirring) at the end of cooking. It will thicken almost immediately.
More recipes like this one
Made this recipe?
Let me know if you liked it by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating and a review below. Please share a photo of your creation by tagging me on Instagram @marcellina.in.cucina!
Blueberry Compote Recipe
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (300 grams)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar more or less as desired
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice optional
- Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and place over medium-low heat.
- Bring to a simmer stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Simmer for 8-10 minutes or until sugar is dissolved, blueberries release their juice and it has thickened slightly. (see notes if not thickened to your liking)
- Serve immediately or store (up to a week) in the refrigerator until serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. For accurate results, it is recommended that the nutritional information be calculated based on the ingredients and brands you use.