This creamy Baked Ricotta is full of delicious lemon and garlic flavors AND ready in 20 minutes!!
Serve this with quick, cheesy dip with roasted tomatoes and crusty bread for an appetizer everyone will love!
Table of Contents
Why you'll love this recipe
It's so easy! Just mix and bake the cheese mixture alongside the tomatoes before enjoying a tasty homemade appetizer!
You'll find that ricotta is versatile and easy to use. When very fresh, this cheese is excellent simply drizzled with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
However, tuck it into hollowed-out vegetables like to make Stuffed Zucchini or Mushrooms. Or go sweet with this amazing Sicilian Cheesecake or a Sweet Ricotta Dip. My all time fav dessert is this Italian Ricotta Pie. You really must try it!!
This baked ricotta relies on simple but good ingredients. You will need-
- Smooth Ricotta - Creamy full fat ricotta is easily available at most supermarkets.
- Parmesan Cheese - I like to use Parmegiano Reggiano for the best flavor.
- Garlic - Fresh garlic will give you the best result but if you only have bottled use that. Dried ground garlic is not the best choice but will work at a pinch.
- Olive Oil - Extra virgin is my preference but regular olive oil will be fine.
- Dried Oregano - In the case dried is actually more fragrant than fresh and more convenient.
- Grated Lemon Rind - This adds a delicious zing and freshness to the cheese so you shouldn't leave it out.
Only four very easy steps.
- Place ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic, oil, lemon rind, dried oregano, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Mix well.
- Spoon into oiled baking dish.
- Smooth the top, then sprinkle with extra Parmesan cheese and bake until golden.
Tips for success and FAQ's
Smooth ricotta is the same as the fresh ricotta you'll find in a basket. However, the whey is not drained but blended back into the ricotta. This creates smooth, creamy ricotta you can use for dips, cheesecakes, stirring through pasta and many other recipes.
The smooth ricotta I have used in this recipe is not fancy or expensive. You will find smooth ricotta easily in the supermarket.
Sure! Fresh, drained ricotta can be used in this recipe instead of the smooth ricotta. Simply mix a few tablespoons of milk into drained ricotta to create a smooth texture.
The top of this dip will never be burnished brown - ricotta is just not that type of cheese. However, if you want a bit more color on the top of your Baked Ricotta just put it under the grill/broiler for a couple of minutes until it colors a bit more.
Why not make a meal of it? Surround the baked cheese with roasted tomatoes plus olives, raw or blanched vegetables, dried fruit, nuts, assorted charcuterie and bread. Such a crowd-pleaser but above all, that's easy entertaining!
Roasted truss tomatoes are super easy! Firstly a drizzle of olive oil then a sprinkle of salt, before you bake tomatoes alongside the ricotta.
If you choose larger tomatoes, cut in half and place cut side up in a baking tray and roast exactly the same way.
If you need a quick and easy appetizer, then look no further because this is the recipe for you. This Baked Ricotta with Roasted Tomatoes ticks all the boxes and I know you'll love it.
More Recipes like this
Made this recipe?
Let me know if you liked it by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating and a comment below. Please share a photo of your creation by tagging me on Instagram @marcellina.in.cucina!
Baked Ricotta Recipe
- 2 cups smooth ricotta (use a 16 oz tub or 500 gram tub)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon rind or 1 lemon - rind finely grated
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese extra
- 8 oz (approx 250 grams) cherry, baby or grape tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°/180ºC. Oil a two-cup capacity ovenproof dish.
Prepare tomatoes for roasting while ricotta bakes
- On a small baking tray or ovenproof dish, place the tomatoes. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt. Set aside.
Prepare ricotta for baking
- In a bowl place ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, crushed garlic, 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, lemon rind, dried oregano, salt and pepper.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Spoon cheese mixture into the oiled ovenproof dish and smooth the top.
- Sprinkle with extra Parmesan cheese.
Cook ricotta and tomatoes
- Place the ricotta and the prepared tomatoes in the oven
- Bake 15-20 minutes. It will be jiggly but that's correct.
- Tomatoes will soften and skins will wrinkle when they are roasted. Ricotta should start browning in patches. If it doesn't, you can pop it under the griller/broiler to brown a little more.
- Drizzle Baked Ricotta with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
- Serve warm Baked Ricotta and Roasted Tomatoes with toasted ciabatta.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. For accurate results, it is recommended that the nutritional information be calculated based on the ingredients and brands you use.