These crunchy Roasted Potatoes are so flavorsome and crispy everyone will be coming back for more!
Paired with the classic flavors of garlic and rosemary, they are perfect for all your festive holiday dinners. But why wait for a special occasion? Make these today!
PIN NOW TO SAVE FOR LATER
These crunchy Roasted Potatoes are the perfect side dish to every meal because everyone loves crispy, golden potatoes.
There are many things in life that are disputed but I think we all agree that crispy roasted potatoes are the all-time, best side dish!
Golden on the outside and fluffy inside, really good roasted potatoes are guaranteed to turn a simple meal into a feast. What I will give you here is more of a technique than a recipe. You can double, triple or quadruple this recipe – easily. However be sure to follow my tips for perfectly roasted potatoes.
What’s the technique used to make these Roasted Potatoes with garlic and rosemary?
The technique used in this recipe is quite simple.
- Peel, cut and boil potatoes until just tender.
- Allow to dry for a few minutes then shake potatoes to rough up the surface.
- Heat oil in roasting pan.
- Add potatoes to hot oil along with garlic and rosemary.
- Roast in the oven until crispy, crunchy and golden.
Firstly it is important to get the surface roughed up because this is where all the crunch happens. Then the hot oil means that the potatoes don’t absorb the oil and become soggy. We all know that no one likes soggy potatoes. Finally don’t crowd the roasting pan – give the potatoes plenty of room that way you will have perfectly, crispy roasted potatoes.
Which potatoes to use for roasting?
The best potato to use is an all purpose potato. Too starchy and the roasted potatoes will taste dry but too waxy and the insides won’t be fluffy.
I like to look for an “all rounder” potato. It is suggested that russet, maris piper or sebago make some of the best roasted potatoes. If you can’t get these check that the potatoes are “good for roasting”. Supermarkets usually will provide a guide.
Crunchy Roasted potatoes are the classic side that can be served up year round. It’s simple to make a complete meal.
Crunchy Roasted Potatoes
- 900 grams potatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt divided
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Peel potatoes and halve or quarter (depending on size) into approx 2 inch pieces.
- Place potatoes and 1 teaspoon of salt in a medium saucepan and cover with tap water (not hot).
- Bring to boil over high heat.
- When boiling, reduce to medium heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until just tender when pierced with a skewer. Potatoes should not be falling apart.
- Drain potatoes into a colander and allow to dry out for 5 minutes.
- While waiting for the potatoes to dry, pour the extra virgin olive oil into a medium size roasting pan which will hold the potatoes easily in one layer. Place the pan in the oven to heat for 5 minutes.
- Also prepare the garlic by crushing with the back of a knife but leaving whole and with skins on.
- When potatoes have dried, shake in the colander vigorously to rough up the surface.
- Carefully remove roasting pan from the oven and add the potatoes, garlic and rosemary to the hot oil. Quickly turn the potatoes in the oil to coat.
- Return to the oven.
- Roast potatoes for 30 minutes. Turn potatoes and roast for another 40 minutes turning over a few more times to ensure potatoes are golden and crisp on all sides.
- Season with remaining 1 teaspoon salt and serve immediately.