Chicken Sorrentino is an insanely delicious dish with the most classic of Italian flavors!
This meal is the perfect comfort food for the family but will easily impress the fussiest guests.
Table of Contents
Why you’ll love this recipe
Chicken Sorrentino consists of boneless chicken breast layered with prosciutto, eggplant, marinara sauce and lots of cheesy cheese! While this family favorite is a little bit like chicken parmigiana, additional flavors take it to another level entirely!
My recipe for Chicken Sorrentino does consist of a few steps but with detailed photos below and full instructions, it’s easy enough for anyone to achieve. Just read through the recipe first, have all your ingredients at hand and take your time.
You’ll love how tender and juicy the chicken cutlets are and there is plenty of sauce for a side of pasta. And if you have more time (or more hands) make your own tonnarelli, garganelli or cavatelli pasta to serve with this appetizing meal. Or make a side of Roasted Potatoes and Broccoli to make use of the preheated oven.
For complete ingredient quantities and full instructions, please scroll to the printable recipe card bottom of the page.
As well as the usual ingredients that you’ll have in your pantry such as onion, garlic, olive oil, butter, flour, salt and pepper you’ll need:-
- chicken cutlets - purchased or if you have good knife skills you can cut them by hand
- eggplant - medium size need 6 thinnish slices
- prosciutto - one slice for each (supermarket or Italian deli)
- marsala - sweet wine
- tomatoes - canned diced or crushed with no additives or use whole tomatoes and crush by hand or fork
- chicken stock - store bought is fine
- mozzarella - don't buy pre grated; it's never as good. Any leftovers make delicious sandwiches like mozzarella in carozza.
- Pecorino Romano - again purchase a block and grate yourself
- No marsala? Substitute white or red wine. The flavor will be a little different but still good.
- Instead of canned tomatoes use tomato passata
- Any ham can be substituted instead of prosciutto
- Mozzarella can be substituted with fontina or soft provolone
- Instead of Pecorino Romano use Parmesan
Preheat the oven to 350ºF/180ºC. Line a baking sheet with non-stick baking paper and have a large baking dish ready for assembly.
- Wash eggplant and slice into ¼ inch/6mm thick. Arrange slices on a lined baking sheet and brush or drizzle on both sides with 1 or 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt.
- Roast eggplant in a preheated oven, turning over once.
- Season chicken cutlets with salt and pepper then dredged in flour. Dust off excess. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium heat, sear the chicken cutlets then arrange in a large baking dish.
- Add remaining butter to the skillet and sauté the onion and the garlic then deglaze with marsala.
- Add crushed tomatoes, chicken stock and salt and pepper. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Lay one slice of prosciutto, one eggplant slice and a few spoonfuls of sauce over each cutlet.
- Spoon the remaining sauce around the chicken. Sprinkle mozzarella on top of the sauce then scatter with grated Pecorino Romano and bake until golden and bubbling.
Tips for Success and FAQ’s
Because this recipe for Chicken Sorrentino has a quite a few ingredients and several steps, I recommend that you read through the recipe first, have all your ingredients at hand and take your time.
For juicy chicken, don't overcook it. Remember that the chicken will cook further in the oven.
Have a large baking dish ready for assembly or use two smaller baking dishes. But most of all don't try to squash all the cutlets in a dish that is too small.
And finally, taste and adjust the seasoning. Salt brings out flavor and is so personal. What I think is too much, may be just perfect for you and visa versa.
Chicken cutlets are boneless chicken breasts cut vertically and pounded into thin pieces.
Sure! I prefer oven roasted eggplant because it’s a little less work. Also breaded and fried eggplant could be used.
Yes, the marinara sauce can be made a day or two in advance so can the oven roasted eggplant slices. Begin the marinara sauce with a tablespoon of butter in which to saute the onion then proceed with the sauce part of the recipe. When ready to assemble, saute chicken then heat marinara sauce in the same skillet so that the browned bits can be scraped up. Then proceed with the recipe.
Freeze only if the chicken has been completely cooked though. Assemble but don’t bake. Cool quickly in the refrigerator before wrapping well in plastic wrap and foil and freezing. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator then bake until golden and bubbling.
Chicken Sorrentino is excellent served with a side of pasta - try my homemade Italian pasta recipe for an easy to follow recipe. But a delicious bread like focaccia Genovese or a salad like green bean salad is also fantastic.
And complete the meal with sugar coated sfinge! It doesn't matter how you serve it this Italian chicken dish is a winner for everyone!
More recipes like this
Made this recipe?
Let me know if you liked it by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating and a review below. Please share a photo of your creation by tagging me on Instagram @marcellina.in.cucina!
Chicken Sorrentino Recipe
- 6 chicken cutlets
- ½ cup flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 eggplant
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup chopped onion approx ½ small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup marsala
- 28 oz (800 grams) canned tomatoes diced or crushed
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 6 slices prosciutto
- 7 oz (200 grams) grated mozzarella
- ⅓ cup grated Pecorino Romano
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF/180ºC. Line a baking sheet with non-stick baking paper and have a large baking dish ((approx 9 x 13 inch/23 x 33 cm) ready for assembly.
- Wash eggplant and slice into ¼ inch/6mm thick. You’ll need 6 slices.
- Arrange slices on a lined baking sheet and brush or drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil and sprinkle evenly with ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Bake eggplant for 15 minutes turning slices over halfway through the cooking. When cooked, remove and set aside.
While the eggplant slices are in the oven
- Season chicken cutlets evenly with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper.
- Place the flour on a large plate and dredge the seasoned cutlets completely. Dust off excess. Set aside.
- Heat up remaining olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- When the butter melts, sear the chicken cutlets for about 2 minutes on each side. You may need to do this in batches.
- When cutlets are done, arrange in one layer in a large baking dish.
- Add remaining butter to the skillet and saute the onion for 2 or 3 minutes adding the crushed garlic towards the end. Onion should be translucent and starting to become a little golden. Reduce or increase the heat as needed.
- Pour marsala into the skillet and scrape the bottom to pick up any stuck on bits. Allow to boil.
- Add diced or crushed tomatoes, chicken stock and remaining salt and pepper.
- Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes. Then taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Salt brings out flavor so be sure to not miss this step!
Assemble Chicken Sorrentino
- Lay one slice of prosciutto and one eggplant slice over each cutlet.
- Top each stack with a couple of spoonfuls of tomato sauce. Spoon the remaining sauce around the chicken. Sprinkle mozzarella on top of the sauce then scatter with grated Pecorino Romano cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is beginning to become golden and the sauce is bubbling.
- Serve immediately.
- read through the recipe first,
- have all your ingredients at hand
- take your time.
- don't overcook the chicken when sautéing
- use large baking dish for assembly or use two smaller baking dishes
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C).
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. For accurate results, it is recommended that the nutritional information be calculated based on the ingredients and brands you use.