Thinly sliced eggplant is grilled then rolled with a cheesy filling, topped with tomato passata and more cheese and baked until bubbling and golden.
- 3 large eggplant
- 3 1/2 oz / 100g crumbled fetta
- 3 1/2 oz / 100g finely chopped mozzarella
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped flat leaf parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1 beaten egg.
Firstly I like to peel and sliced the eggplants into about 5mm slices. Then if the seeds a large and hard they could be bitter so salt them if that's the case. To do this , sprinkle the slice with salt and layer into a colandar. Leave for 1 hour. During this time the bitter juices will be released and drain away. Wash and dry well before proceeding.
Brush slice with olive oil and grill.
While eggplant slices are grilling , mix up the filling in a bowl.
- Place a tablespoon or so of filling onto a slice of grilled eggplant. Roll up and arrange into a baking dish. This is obviously a recipe that can easily be adjusted according to how many guests you have.
- Pour 700g tomato passata over the the rolls and sprinkle with 200g chopped mozzarella, a little dried oregano, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 180C for 20-25 minutes until bubbling and the cheese is melted and golden. By this time your house should smell heavenly.
- Once out, let the dish stand for at least 10 minutes before serving. Beautiful with crusty bread and a salad.