This Brown Rice Salad recipe is easy to prepare in less than 15 minutes and full of goodness.
The combination of flavors in this salad is the classic Sicilian sweet and sour which is absolutely mouthwatering. And the almonds and pine nuts bring a delicious crunch to the Brown Rice Salad.
When I went into my garden to pick the spring onions for this salad I noticed they were all in bud and ready to flower. Who says vegetables aren’t decorative? These flowering spring onions are so pretty plus you can eat them. They should be in the front garden! But let’s get onto making this salad.
Table of Contents
Why you will love this recipe
Firstly, I don’t need to tell you how highly nutritious brown rice is, you know that, right? It’s full of vitamins and minerals plus a great source of dietary fibre. And in case you were wondering, brown rice is gluten-free. Be sure to try out my amazing gluten-free cinnamon granola as well.
Secondly, this salad contains vibrant, red bell peppers (red capsicums) which are chock full of vitamin C along with spring onions and parsley. And just like my Cherry Tomato Caprese salad and this Crack Chicken Salad, it’ll be popular at potluck dinners and on the buffet table.
But most of all, the almonds and pine nuts while providing crunch are also powerhouses of nutrients and amazing benefits. All in all, this Brown Rice Salad is a bowlful of health and goodness and pairs well with these baked Italian chicken thighs.
Of course, the most important thing for this salad is the brown rice – after all it is a Brown Rice Salad!
Brown rice has a delicious, nutty taste and is super nutritious but it takes at least 40 minutes to cook. So to make this salad I like to use precooked or instant rice.
The one I buy takes 2 1/2 minutes in the microwave and I know most countries have a similar product. However, just be sure to buy unflavored rice. Using precooked rice ensures that this Brown Rice Salad is so quick to make.
Plus you’ll also need:
- Red bell peppers – also known as red capsicum.
- Scallions – also known as spring onions or green onions. Use the green as well as the white part.
- Currants – for a little sweetness.
- Blanched almonds – blanched means without skins.
- Pine nuts – be sure to toast to bring out the nutty flavor.
- Parsley – use flat or curly leaf; whichever you have.
- Capers – whether you use salted capers or capers in vinegar, rinse them before using.
- Extra virgin olive oil – good quality oil makes all the difference.
- Lemon juice – fresh is best but at a pinch use bottled.
- Garlic – again I prefer fresh but use jarred if you can’t get your hands on fresh garlic.
How to make this recipe
- Prepare the precooked brown rice according to packet directions.
- Transfer brown rice to a large bowl to cool.
- While rice is cooling, prepare salad ingredients and dressing.
- Mix rice with prepared ingredients and salad.
That’s only 4 easy steps to a great tasting salad. How easy is that!!
Tips for success and FAQ’s
Take advantage of precooked brown rice and this salad can be prepared in 15 minutes, at the most.
Cut the ingredients like red bell peppers (red capsicum) into small dice so that all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
Yes! Prepare this salad up to the point of adding the dressing a day in advance. When ready to serve, toss with the dressing.
Store in a sealed container or covered bowl in the refrigerator. This salad is still quite good the day after.
You’ll find this salad goes well with bbqs and roast meats. Try it with my Butterfly Chicken Recipe or make dinner easy by purchasing a precooked rotisserie chicken and adding some of my homemade garlic butter sauce! Either way sit down and enjoy dinner with a glass of wine and good company.
More Salad Recipes
Made this recipe?
Let me know if you liked it by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating and a review below. Don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter – it’s free!
Brown Rice Salad
- 2 ½ cups cooked brown rice cooled (see notes)
- 2 cups red bell peppers finely diced (red capsicum)
- 1 cup finely sliced scallions/green onions
- ½ cup dried currants
- ½ cup blanched almonds toasted (see notes
- ½ cup pine nuts toasted (see notes)
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley
- ⅓ cup capers rinsed
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons (45 mls) fresh lemon juice see notes
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- black pepper freshly ground
- In a large bowl, place all the salad ingredients and mix thoroughly
- In a small bowl mix together oil, lemon juice and garlic.
- Pour dressing over the salad and mix to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Recheck seasoning before serving.
- Serve at room temperature or cold.
- Use precooked/instant rice which comes in microwavable pouches for fast preparation.
- I purchased a 1 pound (450 grams) pouch which gave me enough rice for this salad.
- Alternatively boil 1 cup of brown rice in salted water for 40 minutes or until cooked through.
- Blanched almonds have the skins removed.
- Nuts can be toasted in a moderate oven for 10 minutes or in a frying pan over medium heat for a couple of minutes until lightly browned. I prefer a frying pan – much quicker.
- Don’t forget to add enough salt to bring out the flavors.
Nutritional Estimate Per Serving
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. For accurate results, it is recommended that the nutritional information be calculated based on the ingredients and brands you use.