This Brown Rice Salad recipe is easy and full of goodness.
The combination of flavors in this salad is the classic Sicilian sweet and sour which is absolutely mouthwatering. And the almonds and pine nuts bring a delicious crunch to the Brown Rice Salad.
When I went into my garden to pick the spring onions for this salad I noticed they were all in bud and ready to flower. Who says vegetables aren’t decorative? These flowering spring onions are so pretty plus you can eat them. They should be in the front garden! But let’s get onto making this salad.
How to make Brown Rice Salad?
Of course, the most important thing for this salad is the brown rice – after all it is a Brown Rice Salad! Brown rice has a delicious, nutty taste and is super nutritious but it takes at least 40 minutes to cook. So to make this salad I like to use use precooked or instant rice. The one I get here in Australia takes 2 ½ minutes in the microwave and I know most countries have a similar product. However just be sure to buy unflavored rice. Using precooked rice ensures that this Brown Rice Salad is so quick to make.
- Prepare the precooked brown rice according to packet directions.
- Transfer brown rice to large bowl to cool.
- While rice is cooling, prepare salad ingredients and dressing.
- Mix rice with prepared ingredients and salad.
That’s only 4 easy steps to a great tasting salad.
This Brown Rice Salad is healthy and nutritious.
Firstly, I don’t need to tell you how highly nutritious brown rice is, you know that, right? It’s full of vitamins and minerals plus a great source of dietary fibre. And in case you were wondering, brown rice is gluten free. Be sure to try out my amazing gluten free granola as well.
Secondly, this salad contains vibrant, red capsicums (red peppers) which are chock full of vitamin C along with spring onions and parsley. But most of all, the almonds and pine nuts while providing crunch are also powerhouses of nutrient and amazing benefits. All in all, this Brown Rice Salad is a bowlful of health and goodness.
Take advantage of precooked brown rice and this salad can be prepared in 15 minutes, at the most. You’ll find this salad goes well with bbq’s and roast meats. Try it with my Butterflied Roast Chicken with herbs or make dinner really easy by purchasing a precooked rotisserie chicken. Either way sit down and enjoy dinner with a glass of wine and good company.
Do you want to see more recipe like this one?
Sign up today by clicking here and you’ll receive all my updates directly to your inbox!
Brown Rice Salad
- 2 ½ cups cooked brown rice cooled (see notes)
- 2 cups bell pepper finely diced (red capsicum)
- 1 cup spring onions sliced
- ½ cup currants
- ½ cup blanched almonds toasted (see notes
- ½ cup pine nuts toasted (see notes)
- ½ cup parsley finely chopped
- ⅓ cup capers rinsed
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice see notes
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- black pepper freshly ground
- In a large bowl, place all the salad ingredients and mix thoroughly
- In a small bowl mix together oil, lemon juice and garlic.
- Pour dressing over the salad and mix to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Recheck seasoning before serving.
- Serve at room temperature or cold.
- Use precooked/instant rice which comes in microwavable pouches for fast preparation.
- I purchased a 450g (1lb) pouch which gave me enough rice for this salad
- Alternatively boil 1 cup of brown rice in salted water for 40 minutes or until cooked through
- Blanched almonds have the skins removed
- Nuts can be toasted in a moderate oven for 10 minutes or in a frying pan over medium heat for a couple of minutes until lightly browned. I prefer a frying pan - much quicker.
- I used Australian measuring spoons which mean 1 tablespoon is 20mls. Be sure to check your tablespoon measure when adding the lemon juice. Or simply taste and adjust to your liking.
- Don't forget to add enough salt to bring out the flavors.