Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad is a refreshing salad that pairs really well with butterflied roast chicken, grilled meats and chicken cutlets!
This salad is ideal for summer lunches and outdoor dining but the best part is that you can whip this up in less than 15 minutes!!
Why you’ll love this recipe
When cucumbers and tomatoes are at their prime, it’s a perfect time to make this Cucumber Tomato Onion salad. This salad highlights the best of summer vegetables.
It’s a tasty combination including parsley and a tasty Italian dressing. Plus all of these ingredients contain a lot of water which makes this salad very refreshing!
For complete ingredient quantities and full instructions, please scroll to the printable recipe card bottom of the page.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this easy salad.
- English or continental cucumber – that’s the long, thin ones
- tomatoes – a variety of colors and sizes is good but be sure to choose sweet ripe ones
- red onion
- Italian (flat leaf) parsley
- extra virgin olive oil
- white wine vinegar
Plus a little sugar and salt and pepper to taste. So simple!!
- substitute fresh basil or mint for the parsley
- use red wine vinegar instead of white wine vinegar
It couldn’t be more easy or quick to make this salad!!
- Slice vegetables and chop parsley.
- Combine salad dressing and mix through vegetables and parsley.
Tips for success and FAQ’s
There are a few tips that are important when making this Cucumber Tomato Onion salad. The most important is to taste and season correctly. Salt brings out the flavors and the only way to know is to taste.
Also let the salad stand for 10 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld together.
English (continental) cucumber have thin skin so it’s not necessary to peel them. However I like to just peel a few strips down the cucumber so that the green and white is alternating. It looks so pretty!
These ingredients contain a lot of water so if the salad is made in advance it will become watery. It’ll still be tasty but won’t look as fresh and vibrant.
Yes. However it’s best to completely peel salad cucumbers and remove the seeds before using in this salad.
More recipes like this one
If you enjoyed this recipe, I’d really appreciate a star rating and a comment or tag me on instagram @marcellina.in.cucina.
Either way, I love to hear from you!
If you haven’t yet subscribed to the newsletter, don’t forget to click here so that you don’t miss out on more delicious food, tips and news!
Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad Recipe
- 1 English (continental) cucumber
- 5 (approx 1 pound or 500 grams) tomatoes see notes
- ¼ red onion
- ⅓ cup chopped Italian parsley
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt or more to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Partly peel the cucumber and slice. Cut the large tomatoes into thin wedges and the smaller tomatoes (if using) into chunks. Thinly slice the onion.
- Place all the vegetables and parsley in a large bowl. Pour dressing over and combine gently. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- In a small bowl, combine all the salad ingredients