These Norwegian waffles are soft and light with buttermilk, perfumed with cardamom and taste heavenly!
Want a great breakfast on Sunday morning without too much bother? Then dust off your waffle iron! This is one not to miss!
Why you’ll love this recipe
These Norwegian waffles require no special equipment. All it takes is a bowl and a whisk. Not madly beating egg whites to stiff peaks or waiting around for the batter to take a “rest”.
Just get straight into it and share them with someone who will thank you for it!
Keep in mind that Norwegian waffles are soft and sweet unlike American waffles are are crisp. These waffles are traditionally served for dessert or as a snack rather than at breakfast.
- baking soda
- cardamom (optional but traditional)
Be sure to preheat the waffle iron
- Sift flour, baking soda, salt, sugar and cardamom
- Whisk together eggs and buttermilk
- Gently whisk in dry ingredients
- Then fold in melted butter
- Cook in waffle iron
It might take a couple of times to get the correct amount of mixture for each waffle – it did for me.
Tips for success and FAQ’s
These waffles are traditionally cooked in a heart shaped waffle iron and a quite thin. It is important to heat the waffle iron thoroughly – at least 10 minutes.
Treat this batter as you would muffins. Be gentle when folding in the dry ingredients and the butter. Over beating will cause tough waffles.
You could try. I’m not sure if the results would be the same. I recommend find this heart shaped waffle maker which makes thinner waffles.
These waffles are not classic crispy waffles. Norwegian waffles are soft. Your waffles are perfect!
If you have a non stick waffle iron, like mine, there is no need to grease.
Yes. Be sure to separate each waffle with non stick paper or freezer plastic so that you can take just one out as needed. Pop in the toaster to defrost. Don’t microwave or they will be tough.
Stack up your waffles and bring them to the table with your choice of toppings.
These gorgeous heart shaped waffles are traditionally served for dessert with spread with berry jam and lashings of sour cream. You can serve these with any other sweet toppings.
If you enjoyed this recipe, I’d really appreciate a star rating and a comment or tag me on instagram @marcellina.in.cucina.
Either way, I love to hear from you!
If you haven’t yet subscribed to the newsletter, don’t forget to click here so that you don’t miss out on more delicious food, tips and news!
Norwegian Waffle Recipe
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt
- ½ cup castor sugar
- 1 teaspoons freshly ground cardamom or more to taste
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- Preheat the waffle iron
- On a sheet of baking paper sift flour, baking soda, salt, castor sugar and cardamom.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs and buttermilk.
- Pick up the paper on top opposite sides, pour into the egg mixture and whisk gently until just combined.
- Fold in the melted butter. Like muffins, don't over mix!
- Follow the instructions for your waffle iron to make the waffles. Waffles will take about 3 minutes each to cook depending on how hot your waffle iron is.