This Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake is a rich and decadent dessert that will be the highlight of your next dinner party!!
Chocolaholics rejoice! This cake contains THREE types of chocolate to satisfy the most severe chocolate cravings!!
Why you’ll love this recipe
Triple Chocolate Mousse cake is the perfect dessert for your next dinner party. Naturally gluten free, this cake is a crowd pleaser!!
Add the ganache topping or just dust the top with cocoa powder, this cake is as impressive as it is delicious! A dollop of blueberry compote is the ideal accompaniment.
For complete ingredient quantities and full instructions, please scroll to the printable recipe card bottom of the page.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake.
- brown sugar
- dark, milk and white chocolate
- whipping cream
- Frangelico liqueur – or what ever you prefer
- Melt the chocolates.
- Beat eggs and sugar until thick and creamy.
- Mix in the melted chocolate.
- Gently fold in cream.
- Pour into prepared cake pan and bake in a water bath.
- Cool and refrigerate overnight before serving.
Tips for Success and FAQ’s
Don’t let any water get into the chocolate when melt otherwise it will seize and be ruined. Use gently even heat to melt the chocolate, stirring regularly to distribute the heat.
Be sure to allow the Triple Chocolate Mousse cake to cool in the pan. It is far too delicate to turn out while warm. Then refrigerate overnight so that it sets and slices well.
Use the very best chocolate that you enjoy eating and serve it with berry compote or a cherry sauce. It is very rich and really you only need a small slice so it will serve 12 easily. Simply dust with cocoa or make a chocolate ganache to guild the lily.
Use a warm knife to cut the cake cleanly and wipe the knife after each slice.
Yes! This cake needs to be made AT LEAST the day before serving. Leftovers will keep for a few days in the fridge.
For best results, don’t freeze this cake.
More recipes like this
If you enjoyed this recipe, I’d really appreciate a star rating and a comment or tag me on instagram @marcellina.in.cucina.
Either way, I love to hear from you!
If you haven’t yet subscribed to the newsletter, don’t forget to click here so that you don’t miss out on more delicious food, tips and news!
Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake Recipe
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup (3½oz/100 grams) brown sugar
- 8 oz (225 grams) dark chocolate
- 5½ oz (155 grams) milk chocolate
- 1½ oz (42 grams) white chocolate
- 1¼ cups (300 mls) whipping cream (48% fat content)
- ⅓ cup Frangelico liqueur or liqueur of your choice
Ganache Topping (optional)
- ⅔ cup (112 grams) semi sweet (dark) chocolate chips
- ½ cup whipping cream
- ¼ cup (42 grams) white chocolate
- 1½ tablespoon whipping cream extra
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF/180ºC.
- Grease a deep 8½ inch/22cm round cake pan. Line the base and sides with non stick baking paper.
- Melt the chocolate in microwave or in a bain marie.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until thick and creamy.
- Beat in melted chocolate until combined.
- Then using a spatula, gently fold in cream and Frangelico.
- Pour mixture into pan. Place pan in baking dish and pour enough boiling water into the baking dish to come halfway up side of pan.
- Bake 30 minutes, cover with foil and bake 30 minutes more.
- Discard the foil, remove the cake pan from the baking dish, cool cake in pan.
- Turn cake onto serving plate cover and refrigerate overnight.
Ganache Topping (optional)
- Heat ½ cup cream until hot but not boiling. Pour over semi sweet (dark) chocolate and allow to stand for 3-5 minutes. Then stir gently until smooth. Spread over the cold cake.
- Heat 1½ cream until hot but not boiling. Pour over white chocolate and allow to stand for 3-5 minutes. Then stir gently until smooth. Pipe in circles around the top of the cake. Draw a toothpick gently from the inside circle to the outside and even intervals around the cake.