This zesty Italian Pasta Salad recipe is simple and delicious.
It’s full of all the southern Italian classics of tomatoes, olives and capers. You will love how easy this Italian Pasta Salad recipe is to prepare!
Why you’ll love this recipe
Did you know that pasta is a great summer meal? This zesty Italian Pasta Salad is perfect for summer. Dressed with preserved Italian vegetables and flavors, this pasta salad will satisfy and set your tastebuds buzzing!!
In Italy this type of recipe Pasta Estiva or Summer Pasta. And it is the prefect dish for summer – fresh, cool and easily prepared. All that needs to be cooked is the pasta. In the time it takes to cook the pasta the “sauce” can be prepared.
While homemade pasta like cavatelli and garganelli is super delicious, store bought, dried pasta is fantastic for recipe like this salad! Always keep a few packets in the pantry for pasta at a moments notice!
This Italian Pasta salad recipe is one of my go to dishes – easily prepared and everyone loves it. If you love this salad, why not try my Brown Rice salad or Pumpkin and Spinach salad or Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad, these are just as easy!
- dried pasta
- canned tuna
- dried tomatoes in oil
- stuffed green olives
- dried oregano
Just add fresh tomatoes to add tang and brightness to the dish.
Don’t you just love recipes that use simple pantry staples? Using basic ingredients from the pantry plus one or two fresh ingredients makes preparing a meal a snap! This recipe uses convenient ingredients that you will have in your pantry.
What about leftovers?
Now you know I’m Italian and I always cook extra food. I love to be sure that there is plenty to eat. This Italian Pasta Salad recipe serves six people but I will often make it just for the two of us. Leftovers are great to take to work or pack into a school lunch the next day. The tomatoes will break down a little but won’t go bad. Of course the flavour improves overnight.
More recipes you’ll love
Zesty Italian Pasta Salad Recipe
- 1 pound (500 grams) pasta
- 6.5 oz (185 grams) canned or bottled tuna in oil Italian style
- 3 tomatoes
- ½ cup stuffed green olives
- ⅓ cup dried tomatoes in oil
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon red pepper (chilli) flakes or to taste
- 3 tablespoons oil from the dried tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- freshly cracked black pepper and salt to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil and salt it well.
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. I like to taste a few minutes before the time is up to ensure it is not overcooked.
- In the meantime, drain the tuna and place into a large bowl, breaking it up.
- Chop the tomatoes coarsely, slice the green olives sundried tomatoes. Place in the bowl with the tuna, mix well. Finely chop capers and mix into remaining ingredients. Sprinkle with oregano and red pepper (chilli) flakes.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain well and turn immediately into bowl with tuna and tomato mixture.
- Dress with oil from the sundried tomatoes, red wine vinegar and black pepper.
- Taste, and adjust seasoning if needed. Toss to combine well.