Marinated eggplant makes the most delicious quick snack and is great to have in the refrigerator ready for an impromptu antipasto.
This recipe combines eggplant with onion, garlic and herbs and uses a less common cooking method that I think you will love.
Why you’ll love this recipe
In this recipe the eggplant chunks are cooked in salted boiling water for a few minutes which is a more common method in Italy than it is elsewhere, I think. The warm cooked eggplant then bath in the vinegary, herby oil that is full of slices of onion and garlic. I adore the way the eggplant soaks up the flavours.
Of course you will need eggplant. I like these pale, green eggplant growing in my garden which, even with seeds, they never have the bitterness to the extent of the purple variety. I love using these for this involtini recipe by Nigella Lawson.
Also you need
- extra virgin olive oil
- dried oregano
- vinegar – red wine is best
- fresh parsley
- Cook the eggplant in boiling salted water.
- Drain well.
- Warm the oil in a skillet
- Fry onions, garlic and oregano in oil, long and slow.
- Stir in vinegar.
- Pour mixture over cooked eggplant and parsley and stir gently.
- Check seasoning.
- Stand for an hour before serving.
Tips for success and FAQ’s
If eggplants are very young and tender there is no need to peel. However if the skin seems tough, it’s better to peel the eggplant prior to boiling.
In this recipe, you will not need to salt because of the cooking in salted water. In other recipes, I only salt if the eggplants are old and seedy.
I have never frozen this recipe but it is quite possible as cooked eggplant freezes well. The texture may not be as good, though.
- use in sandwiches
- add to frittata and omlette
- in pasta salads
- as a pizza topping
For an impressive antipasto platter serve this delicious marinated eggplant along with my Mediterranean bruschetta, some nice cheeses, salami and olives. Combined with good crusty bread you’ll have a wonderful impressive starter or a light meal.
More recipe like this
If you enjoyed this recipe, I’d really appreciate a star rating and a comment or tag me on instagram @marcellina.in.cucina.
Either way, I love to hear from you!
If you haven’t yet subscribed to the newsletter, don’t forget to click here so that you don’t miss out on more delicious food, tips and news!
Marinated Eggplant recipe
- 3 large eggplant cut into 2cm (¾in) chunks, peel if the skin is tough
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Bring to boil a large pot of salted water and cook the eggplant for around 4-5 minutes. You will need to push the eggplant down with a spoon because the chunks will float as they cook.
- When cooked, drain well. Transfer to a bowl.
- In a frying pan, warm the oil.
- Add the onions, garlic and oregano and fry gently until softened and aromatic. Cook long and slow about 15 minutes.
- Add the vinegar. Stir well.
- Pour mixture over cooked eggplant along with parsley and toss gently.
- Taste to check seasoning.
- Allow to stand a least an hour before serving but best made the day before.
- Keeps well in the refrigerator for two weeks