These Roasted Pears are a fantastic celebration of his wonderful fruit!
By roasting pears in the oven, all the natural juices are concentrated and caramelised. Roasted Pears are a simple but delicious dessert which everyone will love.
Why you’ll love this recipe
I remember as a child, my Italian born parents would buy a whole box of pears! My father loved them with bread and cheese. That box of pears fascinated me. Each one was wrapped in a little square of tissue paper to protect it and laid carefully into the box.
This recipe highlights pears – it’s all about the pears! If you love pears, this is your dessert. Easy and simple to prepare, these roasted pears are slightly caramelized and roasted until tender to bring out the best flavor!
It doesn’t matter which pear you choose – Josephine, Beurré Bosc, Packham or even the little Corella – this recipe is delicious to showcase the best of the season.
For complete ingredient quantities and full instructions, please scroll to the printable recipe card bottom of the page.
Roasted pears are easy but it’s important to use good quality pears that you like to eat.
This recipe is best made during pear season when the best pears are available.There are some wonderful varieties here in Australia each with its own deliciousness.
You’ll all need:-
- Prosecco – or your favorite sparkling white wine
- honey – choose a variety you love
- rosemary – use fresh herbs in this recipe
As well as butter and sugar.
Preheat the oven to 350ºF/180ºC.
- Pour the sugar onto a plate.
- Cut pears in half, scoop out the core then dip the cut side into sugar.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over low-medium heat. When the butter has melt, add the pears, sugar side down.
- Cook gently until pears are caramelized.
- Flip pears over then add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Put the skillet into the oven to roast the pears until tender.
These roasted pears are good warm or at room temperature which is perfect for a winter dessert. Combined with wine, a touch of honey and a hint of rosemary these pears have an intriguing flavour that doesn’t overpower.
Serve these pears with
- Vanilla ice cream
- Vanilla custard
- Thick cream
- My vanilla mascarpone icecream
- Low fat ricotta – for a low fat dessert
- And have the leftovers with yogurt and granola for breakfast! Now that’s a breakfast of kings!
If you enjoyed this recipe, I’d really appreciate a star rating and a comment or tag me on instagram @marcellina.in.cucina.
Either way, I love to hear from you!
If you haven’t yet subscribed to the newsletter, don’t forget to click here so that you don’t miss out on more delicious food, tips and news!
Roasted Pears recipe
- 4 pears
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons (2oz/60grams) butter
- a couple of sprigs of rosemary
- ½ cup proseco
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup water
- toasted, crumbled walnuts for serving
- Preheat oven 350ºF/180ºC.
- Pour sugar onto a plate. Cut unpeeled pears in half lengthways and dip generously into the sugar.
- Place an ovenproof frying pan over a medium heat. Add butter to pan to melt. Once butter is melted add pears cut side down and rosemary sprigs.Cook over gentle heat until the pears are deeply caramelised. This should take around 8-10 minutes depending on the heat.
- Turn pears over. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Roast pears in the preheat oven until tender about 15-20 minutes. Sprinkle toasted walnuts over to serve.