These Roasted Pears are a fantastic celebration of his wonderful fruit!
By roasting pears in the oven, all the natural juices are concentrated and caramelised. Roasted Pears are a simply but delicious dessert which everyone will love.
I remember as a child, my Italian born parents would buy a whole box of pears! My father loved them with bread and cheese. That box of pears fascinated me. Each one was wrapped in a little square of tissue paper to protect it and laid carefully into the box. I still love to see food treated with the respect it deserves. Farmers have put a lot of time and care into growing and producing our food that end up on our supermarket shelves, it’s a shame to see it bruised by carelessness.
Maybe we should take a leaf out of other countries, like Italy, where the shopper doesn’t touch the produce. A couple of years ago, while on a holiday in Italy, I was shopping for some fruit and saw this for myself. I loved the care and pride that the greengrocer took with selecting the fruit I had asked for. No more squashed and bruised fruit! In saying that, it’s not like that in Australia, so be sure to pick your pears carefully and don’t let them become too ripe or they will fall apart.
Which pear variety do you need for this recipe?
This recipe is best made during pear season when the best pears are available.There are some wonderful varieties here in Australia each with it’s own deliciousness. My favourite pear is the Josephine, richly flavoured, sweet and juicy! But it doesn’t matter which pear you choose – the Josephine, Beurré Bosc, Packham or even the little Corella – this recipe is delicious to showcase the best of the season.
How to serve Roasted Pears.
These roasted pears are good warm or at room temperature which is perfect for a winter dessert. Combined with wine, a touch of honey and a hint of rosemary these pears have an intriguing flavour that doesn’t overpower.
Serve these pears with
- Vanilla ice cream
- Vanilla custard
- Thick cream
- My vanilla mascarpone icecream
- Low fat ricotta – for a low fat dessert
- And have the leftovers with yogurt and granola for breakfast! Now that’s a breakfast of kings!
Do you remember the pears wrapped in the tissue paper? How do you feel about having the greengrocer select your fruit?
When you make this recipe, take a snap and share it on instagram with #marcellina.in.cucina.
Roasted Pears with Proseco, Honey and Rosemary
- 4 pears
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 60 g butter
- a couple of sprigs of rosemary
- ½ cup proseco
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup water
- toasted crumbled walnuts for serving
- Preheat oven 180C. Pour sugar onto a plate. Cut unpeeled pears in half lengthways and dip generously into the sugar.
- Place an ovenproof frying pan over a medium heat. Add butter to pan to melt. Once butter is melted add pears cut side down and rosemary sprigs.Cook over gentle heat until the pears are deeply caramelised. This should take around 8-10 minutes depending on the heat.
- Turn pears over. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Roast pears in the preheat oven until tender about 15-20 minutes. Sprinkle toasted walnuts over to serve.