Not just for breakfast, these Nutella Pancakes make a decadent snack or dessert.
You'll love how easy this fluffy pancake recipe is but filled with Nutella takes the simple pancake to another level!
Growing up, our great breakfast treat was pikelets. My sister and I sat on the kitchen bench, eating them hot, straight out of mum's electric frying pan. Today we would call them Mini Pancakes.
I still love them and still make these on the smaller side. However, this recipe takes that delicious chocolate spread, Nutella and stuffs it INSIDE a fluffy pancake. And, yes, these Nutella Pancakes are as good as they sound!
For complete ingredient quantities and full instructions, please scroll to the printable recipe card bottom of the page.
Table of Contents
Even though this is a truely decadent pancake recipe the ingredients are basic.
- baking powder
- melted butter
- AND Nutella
Firstly, you will need to freeze dollops of Nutella on a lined baking tray. Tap the baking tray several times on the counter top to settle the Nutella into discs. Then pop into the freeze until solid. It is important to keep the frozen discs in the freezer until needed.
How to make pancake batter
If you have never made pancake batter, you won't believe how easy it is.
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Whisk together wet ingredients and pour into dry ingredients.
- Whisk together until just combined.
- Don't over whisk.
Yes, that's it! I'm sure you are wondering why anyone buys pancake mix when this is so easy and quick.
How to cook Nutella pancakes
These are Nutella Pancakes so there is an extra step which makes these pancakes a little trickier. Work quickly because the frozen Nutella softens fast and then it's just messy!
- Pour pancake batter on greased non stick skillet.
- Take one frozen Nutella disc out of the freezer (leave the rest in the freezer) and place in the middle of the pancake.
- Press the disc down a little into the pancake batter.
- Cover with a little more batter.
- Spread quickly to cover the Nutella.
- When bubbled on top and browned underneath, flip and cook the other side.
It's handy to have a second set of hands to help otherwise just make one or two at a time.
This pancake batter is my go-to-recipe for pancakes of any type. While these Nutella Pancakes are fantastic, this batter is perfect for unfilled, fluffy pancakes. Also use this pancake batter to make delicious, fruity pancakes by topping the pancakes with berries or sliced banana instead of the frozen Nutella disc. No need to cover with extra batter - just flip when cooked on one side.
Nutella Pancakes are delicious for a special breakfast but these fluffy pancakes make a special dessert by adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Whatever you serve these Nutella Pancakes, you are guaranteed to be thanked and praised!
Made this recipe?
Let me know if you liked it by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating and a review below. Please share a photo of your creation by tagging me on Instagram @marcellina.in.cucina!
Nutella Pancakes Recipe
- 16 teaspoons Nutella
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Line a baking tray with non stick paper.
- Form 8 mounds of Nutella on the baking tray using 2 teaspoons for each. Tap the tray firmly on the benchtop several times to spread out the Nutella. Each disc will be approximately 5cm/2in in diameter.
- Place baking tray in the freezer until Nutella is frozen. This should only take 30 minutes. Keep the Nutella discs in the freezer until required.
Meanwhile prepare pancake batter.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- Whisk together egg, milk, melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Pour into flour.
- Whisk dry and wet ingredients gently together until just combined. Don’t over whisk.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium low heat.
- When warm, coat with cooking spray or butter.
- Scoop up ¼ cup of batter and pour most of the batter onto the warm skillet. Reserve the remaining batter.
- Use a spoon to spread the batter into a circle approx. 7.5cm/3in.
- Now work quickly, peeling off one of the frozen Nutella discs and place into the middle of the pancake. Return remaining Nutella discs to the freezer.
- Press the frozen disc down slightly into the batter.
- Use the reserved batter to cover the Nutella. Spread quickly if needed. You’ll probably need two teaspoons of batter to cover the Nutella.
- Cook until the edges are set, and bubbles are forming onto of the pancake. You can lift the pancake to check if it’s brown underneath.
- Flip and cook the other side.
- Repeat with the remaining batter and frozen Nutella discs.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with or with strawberries.
Important points to remember.
- Don't over whisk the batter.
- Keep frozen Nutella discs in the freezer until needed.
- Work quickly once the Nutella discs are on the pancake batter.
- Don't allow Nutella to soften.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. For accurate results, it is recommended that the nutritional information be calculated based on the ingredients and brands you use.