Italian Chicken and Potatoes with Rosemary is one of those simple dishes that makes everyone happy. To start off with, it’s super delicious and has basic ingredients that will please everyone including the kids. But the part I love best, is that once the initial browning off its done, this dish cooks itself!
The Best Cut of Chicken
For this type of cooking that involves lots of liquid, the best cut of chicken is the wings. My local supermarket sells chicken wings minus the tips and cut into two at the joint. They call them “Chicken Nibbles”. But if you can’t find these, it still very simple to do. Be sure to use a sharp knife and cut at the joint. That way you aren’t cutting through any bones.
Easy Italian Chicken with Potatoes and Rosemary
What could be easier? Take a large pan, add a splash of olive oil and a knob of butter, fry off the chicken and add garlic, rosemary and a glass of white wine followed by chunks of potato. Really. That’s it in a nutshell! I almost feel criminal giving you a recipe.
Allow the chicken to simmer away and the result is tender, fall-off-the-bone chicken. There should be a good amount of “bagna” (sauce) to moisten the chicken. Finally, I can’t stress enough the importance of salt. Please be sure to salt carefully. And recheck at the end of cooking.
Want a variation?
Recently my husband and I were invited to dinner. When we arrived, the most glorious smell came from her kitchen. My friend made this dish which her mother and nonna have passed down to her. I just had to make it at home and share it with you. As a matter of a fact, it reminded me of our late nonna Lucia‘s dish of Italian chicken and mushrooms. It’s easy to make this variation. Simply add the mushrooms halfway through frying off the chicken. Obviously omit the potatoes. Or not!
I’m sure you are going to want to try this delicious Italian Chicken and Potatoes with Rosemary as soon as you can. And if by chance you have leftovers, they will reheat well the next day.
Do you have a favourite, simple family recipe? I love to hear about it in the comments section!
Thank you for dropping by.
Italian Chicken and Potatoes with Rosemary
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 lbs chicken wings without wing tip
- 6 large garlic cloves sliced
- 1 heaped tablespoon picked fresh rosemary
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 large potatoes
- Separate the wing into two at the joint.
- Heat oil and butter in a large frying pan that has a lid.
- Add chicken and fry on medium until the chicken becomes golden brown.
- Sprinkle garlic and fresh rosemary over chicken. Stir and allow to fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add wine. Bring to boil and simmer for a few minutes.
- Season well with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Add one cup of water. Cover with the lid, turn down the heat. Simmer gently for 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, peel potatoes and cut into large chunks.
- After 45 minutes add potatoes pressing them into the sauce.
- Replace the lid. Continue to simmer for 20 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Remove the lid. Stir gently. If too liquidy, simmer for 10 minutes to reduce.
- Serve with plenty of crusty bread for mopping up the sauce.
- To make it even easier look for chicken wings without the tips that have already be cut at the joint. At my local supermarket they are called "Chicken Nibbles".
- Substitute chicken stock for water as suggested by one of my readers - be sure to check before salting if you use a salty chicken stock.
- Waxy potatoes are best as they hold their shape
- Be sure to taste and salt well