This Italian Coffee Cake is super easy and full of amazing flavors of coffee, walnut and Amaretto liqueur!
I am busy in the kitchen making my cannoli cake recipe for a special birthday but I wanted something for dessert that was easy and delicious. This Italian Coffee Cake is perfect.
Most of the ingredients are simple and you can purchase them at the supermarket. If you don't have Amaretto liqueur, you can use a rum or substitute with espresso coffee that has been cooled.
If you love this Italian Coffee Cake, be sure to try my Italian Rum Cake!
Made this recipe?
Let me know if you liked it by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating and a comment below. Please share a photo of your creation by tagging me on Instagram @marcellina.in.cucina!
Italian Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 cup (100grams) walnuts
- ¼ cup (20grams) ground espresso coffee
- ⅔ cup (150 grams) butter
- ¾ cup (165 grams) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup (60mls) Amaretto liqueur
- ¾ cup (110g) self raising flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto liqueur extra
- 1 cup (225 grams) mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar icing sugar
- extra walnuts and/or coffee beans to decorate
- Heat the oven 350°F/180°C. Grease a 8 inch (20cm) round pan and line the base with non stick parchment paper.
- In a food processor grind the walnuts and the coffee until finely ground.
- Beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Beat in the Amaretto. Mix in the walnut and coffee mixture. Sift together the flour, cocoa and baking powder. Add to the butter mixture and mix until just combined.
- Spoon into prepare pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove from the oven and drizzle over 1 tablespoon Amaretto. Cool in pan. When cool remove from pan and place on serving plate. Mix remaining Amaretto with mascarpone and powdered sugar and spread over the top of the cake. Decorate as desired. Chill the cake for 30 minutes before serving.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. For accurate results, it is recommended that the nutritional information be calculated based on the ingredients and brands you use.