Nutella Muffins are chock full of oozy, gooey Nutella.
In this recipe I'll reveal the secret way I make sure that each muffin is stuffed with lot of that delicious, chocolate spread.
Muffins are so well-known because they are easy to make. Really, all you need is a bowl and a spoon. And when muffins are filled with oozy Nutella, you're bound to be in for a treat!
Just like this Mocha Cake, these Nutella muffins combine chocolate with coffee for that delicious mocha flavor that is so popular. Pop a batch of these into the oven to fill your house with an amazing aroma!
Table of Contents
Why you'll love this recipe
I've experimented with this recipe. I've googled lots of Nutella stuffed muffins but I could not get that ooze that was seen in the photos. The Nutella was absorbed into the batter during cooking and that left very little for oozing.
These Nutella stuffed Espresso Muffins have
- the ooze factor
- are moist and flavoursome
- and are easy enough for anyone to achieve
And the simple secret is to freeze mounds of Nutella.
All you need to do is simply push the frozen Nutella into the batter and cover with a little more batter before baking into deliciousness! The centres will remain oozy and runny and will not be adsorbed into the batter.
As you know, most muffins are quite simple. This recipe ticks all the boxes of simplicity! First freeze blobs of Nutella, then all you need to do is blend the wet ingredients into the dry. Remember not to overmix! Check out the recipe - you'll see it contains finely ground espresso beans. Those finely ground espresso bean ensure you get lots of wonderful coffee flavour.
More recipes like this
If you are a regular reader, you'll know that here at Marcellina in Cucina, Nutella shows up quite a few times. Whether you want to make Nutella pannacotta, Nutella Puff pastry or Nutella Banana Bread, all the recipes are here. Tried and tested for you because I want you to love baking and cooking just as much as I do.
If you enjoyed this recipe, I'd really appreciate a star rating and a comment or tag me on instagram @marcellina.in.cucina.
Either way, I love to hear from you!
If you haven't yet subscribed to the newsletter, don't forget to click here so that you don't miss out on more delicious food, tips and news!
Nutella Muffins Recipe
- ¾ cup (222 grams) Nutella or other chocolate hazelnut spread
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup strong espresso cooled (see recipe notes)
- ½ cup (115 grams) butter (melted)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons very finely ground coffee beans
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose (plain) flour (see recipe notes)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch salt
- ¾ cup superfine (castor) sugar
- ½ cup ground hazelnuts toasted
6-12 hours before you want to bake your muffins
- Line a baking tray with non stick baking paper and using two teaspoons divided the Nutella into 12 even mounds. Each mound will be around one heaped teaspoonful. Place the tray in the freezer until the Nutella mounds are frozen and hard.
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Spray a standard (⅓ cup capacity) 12 hole muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a jug, whisk together whole milk, espresso. melted butter, egg, vanilla extract and ground coffee beans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and ground hazelnuts.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir together until just combined.
- Place a scant ¼ cup of batter into each hole.
- Now is the time to take the frozen Nutella mounds out of the freezer.
- Work quickly before they melt.
- Upturn each mound into the batter so that the flat side is uppermost. Press down into the batter.
- Use the remaining batter to cover the frozen Nutella.
- Bake immediately for 15-20 minutes until well risen, golden and cooked through.
- Serve warm while the Nutella is still oozing!
- I used two shots of espresso to get the ¼ cup of espresso required for this recipe
- Alternatively use one teaspoon of instant espresso powder dissolved in ¼ cup hot water
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. For accurate results, it is recommended that the nutritional information be calculated based on the ingredients and brands you use.