I think I have found the ultimate biscuit recipe – fast, crispy and delicious! Today I needed to fill the biscuit barrel but fast! Maybe you’re the same, I need more than 24 hours in a day, these days. Store bought biscuits have their place and they are great at a pinch but if you want to know exactly what you are eating, we all know home baked is best.
I found the recipe here and is submitted by Bernice. Bernice tells us that they are “Crisp, delicious and perfect with a cuppa.” She goes on to say, “These are so easy and will be gone in seconds! It’s an old recipe I found among my Mother’s few recipes, written out by her aunt many, many years ago.”
So I had to try them. I agree with Bernice, these biscuits are delicious and definitely easy. What can be easier than melting butter and mixing with the other ingredients? This is a basic recipe. Why not add choc chips, or nuts. Maybe some cinnamon or sub out the coconut with muesli or crushed cornflakes? Or just make them as they are….you will love them!
Crispy Coconut Biscuits
- 125 grams butter soften
- 1 cup sugar superfine or castor
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup self raising flour sifted
- 1 cup desiccated coconut unsweetened
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a couple of trays with non stick paper.
- Beat the butter with a wooden spoon then stir in the sugar. Add the egg and the vanilla. Mix well. Add the flour and the coconut. Stir well until thoroughly mixed.
- Roll small balls about the size of a walnut and place a little distance apart on the baking tray. Press with a fork.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, turning the trays once. The biscuits will puff up and then as they cook will flatten, that's when you know they are ready and will be browned and crispy.
- Remove and cool on wire racks.