- 3 eggs
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon limoncello optional
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups plain all purpose flour
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 1 cup honey
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon orange flower water
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- glace cherries and coloured sprinkles to decorate
- In a bowl mix together eggs, salt, limoncello, oil and sugar.
- Slowly mix in the flour until a firm dough has formed. Turn our onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or so.
- Wrap in plastic and allow it to rest at room temperature for about an hour.
- Cut the dough into 8 piece and keep covered.
- Take one piece of dough and roll into a rope about 18 inches or 45 cm long.
- Cut into small pieces about 1/2 inch size which is just under 1.5cm.
- Repeat with all the dough. Set aside and heat the oil.
- I just used a deep frying pan filled with about 1 inch of oil.
- Heat the oil to 375°F/180°C. Prepare a baking tray lined with paper towels.
- When the oil is ready fry handfuls of the struffoli, stirring to separate the pieces and allowing them to brown and puff up.
- Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and cool on the paper towel lined baking tray. Repeat with all the dough.
To make the honey sauce,
- Place the honey, sugar and orange flower water in a wide frying pan or skillet.
- Heat to dissolve the sugar then bring to boil.
- Simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce is glossy and thickens a little.
- Add the stuffoli and the almonds stir and cook over low-medium heat for 5 minutes until all the struffoli are coated.
- Remove from the heat and allow to stand for a few minutes to cool and thicken.
- Stir well.
- Then pile on a serving plate and decorate with cherries and coloured spinkles.