These Chocolate Chip Cookies are my most requested recipe.
Chocolate chip cookie recipes abound. Lately so many are popping up in my social feeds. Some are chewy, some are crunchy and some lie somewhere in between. I like chocolate chip cookies with a bit of crunch and loaded with really good chocolate chips.
These Chocolate Chip Cookies are the best.
Almost everyone I know loves these cookies. I always delivered a box of these cookies to the school when my children went on school camp. These were the days when parents were asked to supply snacks to keep costs down and these Chocolate Chip Cookies were always well received. Also boxes of these cookies were given as gifts at Christmas to the teachers. My kids took these cookies with them when they had a sleepover with their friends. Since they are so good this has been my go-to chocolate chip cookie.
What makes these Chocolate Chip Cookies so special?
So where did this recipe come from, I hear you ask. Clipped from a House and Garden magazine (one of Maureen Simpson’s recipes) more than 20 years ago, this recipe has been adapted to our tastes and it works. As with any baking, please use the very best ingredients. Good butter and eggs. Real chocolate and vanilla. I know lots of cooks say they use cheap, supermarket brands but once you try the real thing you will notice a difference.
Today I had some dark couverture chocolate chips leftover from a special occasion cake so I used those but I know not everyone wants to use couverture chocolate. I buy my couverture chocolate from Kirsten Tibbals online shop and the stock many other goodies. Lacking couverture chocolate, buy a block of really good dark chocolate and chop it into chunks for this recipe. The baking time varies – if you like a chewy cookie only bake for 15-18 minutes. For some crunch, let the cookies bake for 20-25 minutes. It’s up to you.
If you are a cookie dough fiend, this is the best! When my children were young (and even not so young) I always ended up with less dough. Yep, they always ate the raw dough!
For me the best part is sampling warm, Chocolate chip cookies right out of the oven when the chocolate is oozing. That really hard to resist. Just be careful not to burn your mouth!
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 200 grams salted butter room temperature
- 1 cup of firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut unsweetened
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 300 grams dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line two large baking trays with non stick paper.
- Beat butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer until well combined and smooth. Add egg and vanilla. Beat until thoroughly combined. Add remaining ingredients and mix until well incorporated and dough comes together.
- Divide mixture into 36 portions. Roll each portion into a ball and arrange on baking trays allowing room for spreading.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes for a chewy cookie or 20-25 minutes for more crunch.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool.