Make these small batch Chocolate Chip Cookies using just one bowl and 9 ingredients!
Perfect for when you want to eat cookies now! This recipe for soft, chewy cookies, loaded with chocolate chips is ready in less than 30 minutes!
Why you'll love this recipe
Do you ever get those urgent cookie craving hits? That's where these small batch Chocolate Chip cookies come in. These are fast to make and taste absolutely amazing! Perfect for small families, couples and for when you just can't have a whole batch of cookies sitting around begging to be eaten!
There are so many reasons why you'll love these cookies! Give my amazing Coffee Cookies or Lemon Curd Cookies a try while you're creating tasty cookie treats.
- no waiting for butter to soften to room temperature - use the microwave
- only one bowl required which means less cleaning up
- no chilling the dough
- makes just 10 thick, soft and chewy cookies
- mix and cook in just 20 minutes
All the typical cookie ingredients are in this small batch chocolate chip cookie recipe but there are a few ingredients that need special mention.
- Light brown sugar is for moisture and chewiness - you can use dark brown sugar if you prefer
- White sugar helps the cookies spread so don't omit this
- Only an egg yolk is needed - collect egg whites and freeze for later to use in Italian meringue butter cream or lemon macarons or for something savory, try my Egg White Frittata.
While these cookies are perfect just as is, you might like to try something different. Omit the ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips for-
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips and ¼ cup chopped macadamia nuts
- ¼ cup milk chocolate chips and ¼ cup chopped hazelnuts
- ½ cup peanut butter chips
Or try these flavor variations.
- For a nutty, bold flavor, you could brown butter in a pan before cooling and using in this recipe.
- Add ¼ teaspoons of ground cinnamon.
- Toss in some toasted, chopped hazelnuts.
Before you start, preheat the oven to 350ºF/180ºC because this will take 10 minutes to heat.
This is a small batch recipe that could not be more simple to make!
- Soften the butter in the microwave then add brown and white sugar.
- Whisk in egg yolk and vanilla.
- Mix in flour, baking soda, salt and chocolate chips
- Use a cookie scoop or divided the cookie dough into 10 portions. Don't flatten.
Bake in the preheated oven fo 9-12 minutes. Leave on the baking sheet for 5 minutes or so then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips for success and FAQ's
With small batch recipes, it's easy to incorrectly measure an ingredient which would lead to an imbalance in the dough. Therefore I recommend weighing the ingredients.
If using measuring cups, follow my preferred method for measuring the flour. To begin, stir the flour to reduce compaction. Then spoon the flour into the measuring cup and use a knife to level it off.
For even cooking, turn the oven tray after 7 minutes of baking.
If too much flour is added the dough, the cookies can turn out to be hard and dry. Next time be sure to measure the ingredients correctly and if needed add a little of the egg white to moisten the dough.
No, it's important to leave the cookie dough balls mounded.
These cookies cook really quickly. When done they will be lightly browned around the edges, set on top and puffy in the middle. The middle will fall a bit on cooling.
This recipe was first published on October 3, 2017 as a full batch chocolate chip cookie recipe.
More recipes like this
Easy Chocolate Chip Muffins
Cocoa Brownies with Dark Chocolate
Made this recipe?
Let me know if you liked it by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating and a review below. Please share a photo of your creation by tagging me on Instagram @marcellina.in.cucina!
Small Batch Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (60 grams)
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar (50 grams)
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar (castor)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup all purpose (plain) flour (85 grams)
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon fine salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips - dark/semi sweet (85 grams)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF/180ºC. Line a large baking sheet with non stick parchment paper.
- Place the butter in a medium microwave-safe mixing bowl and soften on high for 15-20 seconds stopping every 5 seconds to check. It should be just softened with some melted butter but not completely melted. It shouldn't be hot otherwise the egg will cook.
- Using a wooden spoon, beat the butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well combined and smooth. Add egg yolk and vanilla. Beat until thoroughly combined.
- Sieve flour, baking soda and salt directly over the bowl and into the butter mixture.
- Mix in flour, followed by chocolate chips.
- Use a small cookie scoop or divide mixture into 10 portions and roll into balls. Don't flatten.
- Bake in preheated oven for 9-12 minutes.
- Cool on baking tray for 5-10 minutes. Then cool on wire rack.
- I recommend weighing the ingredients. However, if using measuring cups, follow my preferred method for measuring the flour. To begin, stir the flour to reduce compaction. Then spoon the flour into the measuring cup and use a knife to level it off.
- Butter should not be melted completely or hot. Hot butter will cook the egg - you don't want that!
- For even cooking, turn the oven tray after 7 minutes of baking.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325ºF (162ºC) for more chewier cookies.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. For accurate results, it is recommended that the nutritional information be calculated based on the ingredients and brands you use.
I love a good chocolate cookie! These look terrific and seem easy to prepare too.
Angie, this one is really easy!
Mmmm. These look great. My husband likes chocolate chip cookies like this and I can't ever seem to get them right! Will be trying this.
Marcellina In Cucina
I think you will like this chocolate chip cookies, Susan, and I hope your husband does too! Let me know what you think.