Do you need a quick but impressive Easter cake for your dessert table? This Malted Chocolate Easter Cake is just the thing. Nothing complicated here. Just combine the ingredients gently in the mixer bowl, bake in 3 pans and fill with a simple malted buttercream. Sour cream and oil keep the cake moist and the malted milk powder adds a yummy flavour and texture to the cake. Decorate it with whatever you have in your pantry. Or leave it plain. Either way this Malted Chocolate Easter Cake with be delicious and impress you guests!
Malted Chocolate Easter Cake recipe
I saw a similar cake on the beautiful blog Jane's Patisserie. Jane makes gorgeous and delicious cakes and desserts. Have a look at her blog. She has quite a wonderful selection of Easter goodies! But I wanted a simple cake that was quick and easy to make. This recipe for the Chocolate Malted cake is from Baker Girl. I love all in one cakes - they are so easy! Just make sure to dissolve the malted milk powder in the milk before you combine with the remaining ingredients.
Decorate with store bought chocolates
A simple malted buttercream finishes the Malted Chocolate Easter Cake. Be sure to have the butter at room temperature to ensure it whips up well before adding the powdered sugar. Top it with whatever chocolates or sprinkles you have in your pantry and you have a dessert set to impress!
You can pair this with my savory Italian Pie recipe that is another favorite around Easter time. Try it, you will love it!
More recipes you'll love
Malted Chocolate Easter Cake
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cup castor sugar superfine
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup malted milk powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup butter softened
- ¾ cup malted milk powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoons milk more if needed
- Chocolates to decorate
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) cake pans.
- Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix together milk and malted milk powder in a small bowl to dissolve.
- Add sifted ingredients, milk mixture, oil, and eggs into bowl of the stand mixer. Beat briefly at medium speed until smooth.
- Gently mix in sour cream and vanilla until combined.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans, and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and let cool completely on wire racks.
For the Malted buttercream
- Beat butter in stand mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add in the malted milk powder and then the sifted powdered sugar and vanilla. Add milk to achieve the desired consistency.
- Use the buttercream to fill and top the cake. Decorate as desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. For accurate results, it is recommended that the nutritional information be calculated based on the ingredients and brands you use.