This mascarpone ice cream is perfectly flavoured with just enough sweetness and a beautiful fragrance of vanilla.
With summer fast approaching here in Australia, we all starting thinking of ways to cool down. A refreshing, not-too-sweet ice cream is just the thing.
About this recipe
This easy recipe has been adapted from Saveur where it was flavoured with lemon which I’m sure is perfectly acceptable unless you are a vanilla freak like me. While this icecream is soft and cream when fresh, it becomes quite hard if it remains in the freezer for more than a couple of days. It’s still quite ok but remember to remove it well before you want to serve it to allow the icecream to soften slightly. This Vanilla Mascarpone Ice cream teams wonderfully with Stewed Pears. I know you will enjoy it.
For complete ingredient quantities and full instructions, please scroll to the printable recipe card bottom of the page.
Vanilla is one of my favourite flavours, whether it’s ice cream or cake. But vanilla was not always so easy to come by.
When I first baked in my pre-teen years and then in Home Economics class in high school, vanilla essence was de rigueur. Until I ordered some REAL vanilla extract through a catalogue though I’m not sure which company. Oh wow!
When that vanilla extract arrived it was thick and shiny and the fragrance was like no vanilla I had ever smelt before. I thought it was gold and measured it out carefully and only for the really special recipes!
I don’t how long it lasted but it was the vanilla that changed me forever! Since then the special-ness of vanilla extract, beans and seeds has remained with me and in my baking.
Never use imitation vanilla. But vanilla extract which has a more pronounced flavor and is natural. Better still, as in this mascarpone ice cream recipe, use vanilla bean.
If you enjoyed this recipe, I’d really appreciate a star rating and a comment or tag me on instagram @marcellina.in.cucina.
Either way, I love to hear from you!
If you haven’t yet subscribed to the newsletter, don’t forget to click here so that you don’t miss out on more delicious food, tips and news!
Mascarpone Ice Cream Recipe
- 1 ½ cups milk not reduced fat
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1 cup mascarpone
- 1 vanilla bean split and scraped
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk with sugar, vanilla bean and seeds and the gelatin. Allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Over medium heat, stir milk until the sugar and gelatine are dissolved. Off the heat, whisk in the mascarpone until smooth. Alllow to cool to room temperature.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Scrape the ice cream into a container and freeze until set, at least 4 hours