This Tosca cake has got to be one of the most delicious cakes I have ever had! Not only is this cake delicious but it has it’s own baked on topping! What more could a girl ask for? Oh, that’s right it’s really easy too.
Simply mix up the cake batter (and that IS simple because the butter is melted and there are no fancy ingredients), bake until almost done, then top with the caramelised almonds that you have stirred together in a pot and return to the oven to finish baking. The mouthwatering, buttery scent that will fill your kitchen will make you want to dive into this cake the minute it is out of the oven.
Pick up a packet of flaked almonds next time you are at the shops and be sure to whip this one up. You won’t regret it!
- fine dry breadcrumbs for dusting the cake pan
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup castor sugar
- 1/3 cup cream
- 115 grams salted butter melted and cooled until tepid
- 115 grams salted butter room temp
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 cups flaked almonds
- Preheat oven 180C/350F and spray a 25cm/10inch springform pan with cooking spray then dust with breadcrumbs.
- Sift together flour and baking powder.
- In a bowl, (I used a stand mixer but use a hand held if that what you have) beat the eggs and sugar until thick and fluffy.
- On low speed mix in the flour mixture and then the butter and cream until just incorporated.
- Scrape into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown but not cooked through.
Prepare the Topping
- This topping needs to be used while warm so time it to be ready when cake is. In a saucepan mix the butter, sugar, flour and milk then add the almonds and mix well. Stir over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes until it is very warm. It won't boil but will be the consistency of a thick cream sauce.
- Remove cake from the oven. Dollop spoonfuls of the topping over the cake and spread with the back of a teaspoon evenly.
- Return the cake to the oven for another 20-25 minutes until golden and the topping is bubbling. Be careful that it doesn't burn.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool in the pan. Use a knife to loosen the edges of the cake from the pan.