Marshmallow Bunnies are an Australian tradition.
Homemade Marshmallow with 3 ingredients.
If you’ve never made marshmallow you’ll be surprised at how easy it is. You’ll only need 3 (that’s right, 3) ingredients.
Plus some water. I always like to add a pinch of salt for taste but that’s entirely optional.
Do you need special molds for Marshmallow bunnies?
Making Marshmallow Bunnies with molds.
After making one quantity of marshmallow lightly oil the molds (the instructions that come with the molds specifically says not to oil but I am yet to find someone who can remove the marshmallow without oiling so ignore that).You will be able to fill a large bunny, 2 medium bunnies and 4 baby bunnies with a little bit let over for the cook which you can set in a small, oiled baking pan.I like to set the marshmallow in the fridge however if your area is cool this marshmallow with set at room temperature.
Marshmallow for Easter Bunnies
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons gelatine
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
How to make marshmallow
- Put cold water in bowl. Gradually stir in gelatine; let stand 5 minutes.
- Put hot water, sugar and salt into large saucepan. Be sure to use a fairly large saucepan because as it boils it will come up the sides quite quickly so watch it carefully.
- Stir over low heat until sugar has dissolved.
- Add gelatine mixture, stir over low heat until gelatine has dissolved.
- Bring to boil. Then reduce heat and simmer gently uncovered. Simmer for 9 minutes from the time the mixture first starts to boil.
- Remove pan from heat, let cool to lukewarm.
- Put mixture into bowl of electric mixer, add vanilla.
- Beat on high speed 5 minutes or until thick and creamy. It may take longer if it is still a bit warm.
How to make Marshmallow Bunnies
- You can colour and flavour your marshmallow any way you like. I prefer the vanilla taste so I leave it plain. Now this quantity should fill a large bunny, 2 medium bunnies and 4 baby bunnies with a little bit let over for the cook! Set the marshmallow in the fridge.
- The bunnies will remove easily (if you remembered to oil the molds!) by holding the mold in one hand and picking up the exposed marshmallow on the tips of your fingers. A very sticky job, indeed!Don't panic if there are air bubbles on your marshmallow, a bit of food colour and a ton of coconut will hide everything.
- This part is the fun bit.Get out all your food color a couple of paint brushes. You can really do what you want but I like to outline the features of the bunnies in some whimsical colors!
- Then all you need to do is roll your bunnies in coconut and arrange on some green tinted coconut "grass".