This dark Chocolate Tart recipe is a perfect dessert for chocolate lovers.
The simple no-bake crust is filled with a decadent and rich chocolate filling and topped with a shiny layer of chocolate ganache. Plus it’s a recipe that is easy to adapt for a gluten free dessert.
Chocolate desserts are always so popular. Whether it be a creamy Italian Chocolate pudding or a flourless Chocolate Almond cake, chocolate will produce smiles like no other dessert. Let me assure you, this Chocolate Tart is no different.
To make this decadent tart you will need some simple ingredients
- crushed cookies/biscuits – you can use any plain cookie or biscuit as we say in Australia even a combination of what you have leftover. Choose gluten free to make this a gluten free dessert. For how to crush scroll down.
- cocoa powder
- powdered (icing) sugar – if keeping gluten free, be sure to check ingredients. You could even use superfine (castor) sugar.
- butter – unsalted. If you only have salted butter, use it but omit the salt from the recipe.
- cream – it’s best to use pouring cream
- dark chocolate – use any dark chocolate you like – I used 45%
This tart is so simple to make and a guaranteed no-fail recipe but it does have three parts – simple as each may be.
Instructions for the crust
- Finely crush the cookies/biscuits in a food processor
- Mix crushed cookies with sugar, cocoa powder and melted butter
- Press into pan
Instructions for the filling
- Heat the cream
- Add the chocolate to the cream
- Combine until smooth
- Mix in the eggs and salt
- Pour into prepared crust
Instructions for ganache topping
- Heat the cream
- Add chocolate and sugar
- Mix until smooth
- Pour over cooled filling
Variations of this recipe
- Substitute chocolate cookie crumbs for the plain cookie crumbs and cocoa powder.
- Make a nutty base but substituting ½ cups of ground hazelnuts or almonds for the cookie crumbs.
- Stir 2 tablespoons of liqueur into the filling before baking – try Frangelico or Amaretto.
- Add the same liqueur to the chocolate ganache – just 1 tablespoon.
- Or leave the ganache topping off altogether and simply dust with cocoa powder.
How to serve
This three layered tart is perfect just served on its own but a scoop of vanilla ice cream would never be out of place.
Can this tart be made in advance?
Make crumb crust and bake with the filling the day before. Then on the day of serving, top with the ganache topping. If you have leftovers, keep well covered in the fridge for 4-5 days.
This updated recipe was first published on 10 May 2013
More recipes you’ll love
Easy Chocolate Pudding
Nutella Panna Cotta
Easy Brownies with Cocoa and Dark Chocolate
Poached Pears in Red Wine
Chocolate Raspberry Tarts from It’s Not Complicated
No Bake Chocolate Fridge Cake from Sugar Salt Magic
Did you like this recipe?
For the crust:
- 1 ¾ cups cookie crumbs see notes
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup powdered (icing) sugar
- 85 grams salted butter melted (6 tablespoons)
For the filling:
- 1 ½ cups pouring cream
- 250 gram dark chocolate broken up
- 2 eggs beaten lightly
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the ganache topping:
- ½ cup cream
- 125 grams dark chocolate broken up
- 2 teaspoons powdered (icing) sugar
To prepare crust
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF.
- Coat a 23cm/9in tart pan with a removable base with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl until mixture comes together.
- Press the crust mixture evenly over the base and sides using the back of a spoon to help you.
To prepare filling
- Heat the cream until it bubbles (you can do this in the microwave for 1-½ minutes).
- Add the chocolate to the cream and allow to sit for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Take a whisk and start slowly mixing the cream and chocolate until it is smooth and well combined.
- If the mixture is still hot, cool a little so that the eggs don’t scramble.
- Add the eggs and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Tap the bowl on the bench to bring the air bubble to the surface.
- Pour this mixture into your prepared tart pan.
- Carefully transfer to your hot oven and bake undisturbed for 20 minutes.
- Allow the tart to cool for about 15 minutes then transfer to the refrigerator to cool completely.
To prepare the ganache topping
- Heat the cream (again you can do this in the microwave) add the chocolate and sugar and allow to sit for a few minutes.
- Whisk to combine until smooth
- Pour this delicious mixture all over the top of the tart.
- Don’t use anything to spread it. Just tip the tart around to spread the topping. This will result in a mirror like finish. Return to the refrigerator until ready to serve. Return to room temperature for maximum flavour.