In this is a Daring Baker’s Challenge for the month of November Krista and Nicole of “Two Cups of Sugar.”challenged us to make our own version of cheesecake crumble pie.
A cheesecake with all the flavours of Italy.
To flavour the ricotta filling I delved into my freezer for the glace fruit I have purchased some time ago. These gorgeous little glace oranges would be perfect. So the flavour was decided – orange, dark chocolate with an almond crumble for an Italian style cheesecake.
How to serve this Italian style cheesecake?
Nothing more is required for this Italian style cheesecake. Serve generous slices (only if you love dessert!) accompanied only with a dessert fork. Oh, but if you decided to make a little espresso to go with it, I wouldn’t mind that.
If you loved this Italian style cheesecake then you must try my Apricot crostata!
A delicious Italian style cheesecake with a crunchy crumble topping. The best of both worlds!
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 125 g butter diced
- 1 egg yolk
- 1-2 tablespoons chilled water
- 500 g ricotta
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 3/4 cup mascarpone
- 2 eggs
- 80 g dark chocolate chopped
- 140 g glace orange
- 50 ml Amaretto liqueur
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 60 g butter
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Process the flour and almond meal with the butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs in a food processor.
- Add the yolk and pulse to combine.
- Add a little bit of water will the processor is running until the dough comes together in a rough ball.
- Turn it our onto a floured board and knead lightly until it just comes together.
- Flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for an hour.
- Grease a 23cm flan tin with a removable base.
Roll out the dough to 3mm thickness between two sheets of baking paper. Line the flan tin with the pastry. See recipe notes for tips.
- Put in the freezer for 10 minutes. In the meantime preheat the oven to 200C.
- Blind bake for 10 minutes them remove paper and weights and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Cool. Reduce oven temperature to 180C.
- Process the ricotta and sugar in the food processor until smooth. Add the eggs and whizz until mix in well. Add the Amaretto and cornflour and process to mix. Remove the mixture to a bowl and stir in the dark chocolate and glace orange.
- Spoon into the prepare pastry shell and smooth the surface. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Place all ingredients into a processor . Process to combine and roughly chop almonds.
- Sprinkle crumble onto the tart and return to bake for another 30 minutes. Turn the oven off. Leave oven door ajar and cool the cheesecake for one hour. Remove from the oven.
- Cool before chilling for at least 2 hours. Enjoy!
- This is a very short pastry and for me, it fell apart as I lined the flan tin. However it was easy to patch up here and there.
- Pastry shell can be left in the freezer overnight until ready to bake from frozen the next day. Simply allow a little longer to bake.