These Witches’ Fingers are so much fun and delicious
Even if you don’t celebrate Halloween, these cookies are easy and use just 4 simple ingredients. Witches’ Fingers can be made “cute” or “scary”.
Just like regular shortbread cookies the ingredients as basic pantry staples.
- Flour – all purpose (plain) flour is use for this recipe. There is no rising agent needed.
- Butter – for the best tasting cookies use good butter. Don’t substitute margarine or shortening; the results will not be tasty. I usually like salted butter for this recipe but use unsalted if that’s what you have and add a large pinch of fine salt in with the flour.
- Powdered Sugar – this fine, powdery sugar dissolves quickly which is exactly what we need for this fast to make cookie recipe.
- Almonds – these are used to represent fingernails (and do a great job, I think!). You’ll need to purchase almonds without skins and use a fine knife to carefully split them in half where they naturally join. If you can’t find almonds without skins, cover almonds with boiling water for a few minutes then you’ll find the skins just slip off.
A recipe could never be easier than this one.
- in the food processor combine flour, butter and icing sugar to form a dough
- rest in the fridge
- shape as desired
There is no reason why you shouldn’t make these. Firstly these cookies are delicious and melt in your mouth. Secondly, Witches’ Fingers are super easy! Finally, what fun you can have with these cookies!
Absolutely! Shortbread is an easy cookie to make and shape.This dough is so versatile and can be shaped how ever you desire. This recipe is not limited to Halloween. Reshape and enjoy throughout the year.
Shortbread is one of my favourite cookies and probably yours too. Have a look at my traditional almond flour cookies or this Sbrisolona which is an Italian traditional torta with the wonderful qualities of shortbread.
This updated recipe was first published on 31 October 2011
If you enjoyed this recipe, I’d really appreciate a star rating and a comment or tag me on instagram @marcellina.in.cucina.
Either way, I love to hear from you!
If you haven’t yet subscribed to the newsletter, don’t forget to click here so that you don’t miss out on more delicious food, tips and news!
Witches’ Fingers for Halloween
- 2¾ cups all purpose flour 350 grams
- 1 cup butter (softened) 2 sticks/240 grams
- 1 cup powdered (icing) sugar 110 grams
- a handful of split almonds for decorating or M&M's for a fun variations
- Preheat oven 320ºF/160º and line a cookie sheet with non-stick parchment paper.
- Whizz flour, powdered sugar and butter in a food processor until it all comes together and forms a ball.
- Remove from the processor and flattened into a disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- I let it soften a bit before I could form my shapes.
- Scary Witches Fingers are made by rolling ropes of dough before portioning into finger lengths. Press a split almond on the end to represent finger nails.
- Cute Witches Fingers are made by rolling out the dough and cutting finger shapes. I used a little egg white to ensure the Smartie/ M & M stuck to the dough.
- Place fingers onto prepared cookie sheet and bake for 12- 15 minutes or until lightly colored.
- Cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.