So, we thought we were going to share and teach about our world! How little did we know! That's why it's called an exchange - an exchange of ideas, thoughts and values. A glimpse into one an other's world.
Jelly Cakes Recipe
For the cake batter
- 4 oz (125grams) salted butter
- 5 oz (140 grams) superfine (castor) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups (250 grams) self raising flour or 2 cups all purpose flour with the appropriate amount of baking powder added
- ½ cup (125ml )milk
To assemble Peach Blossoms/Jelly cakes
- 3 oz (85 grams) packet raspberry jelly crystals (or Jell-o)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup cool water
- whipped cream or Italian meringue buttercream
- desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
- Beat butter and sugar to a cream. Add vanilla. Add eggs one at a time then beat well. Sift flour and add alternately with the milk. Mix lightly into a soft dough.
- If using gem iron, spray with nonstick cooking spray then carefully place a small teaspoonful in each depending on the size of your gem irons.
- If using a cake pan, grease and line with baking paper a 9in/23cm square cake pan. Fill with the batter smooth and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Your cakes should be lightly browned and risen.
To assemble your blossoms
- Dissolve jelly crystals in the boiling water then add cold water. Allow to stand in the refrigerator until beginning to set or until the consistency of egg white.
- Sandwich two halves together with cream.
- If your not using gem irons you will need to cut your cake into small squares about 1in/ 2.5cm square. Hopefully you cake is about 2in/ 5cm high. Cut each square through the middle then sandwich back together with cream.
- Dip your joined cakes into the partly set jelly then roll in coconut. Refrigerate or freeze to keep for longer.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. For accurate results, it is recommended that the nutritional information be calculated based on the ingredients and brands you use.