Blessing to you,
- 10½ oz (300 grams) figs finely chopped
- 3½ oz (100 grams) golden raisins or sultanas
- 1 cup vin cotto or reduced wine - refer to notes
- ½ cup strong black coffee
- ½ cup white sugar
- 5¼ oz (150 grams) almonds toasted and finely chopped
- 5¼ oz (150 grams) walnuts toasted and finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3½ oz (100 grams) dark 70% chocolate
- Marsala to moisten
Pasta Frolla ( Pastry)
- 4 cups (500 grams) all purpose plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- 3½ oz (100 grams) unsalted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- grated rind of one lemon
- 3 eggs
To make filling
- Combine in a saucepan figs, sultanas, reduced wine, coffee and sugar. Heat gently and stir to combine and allow the fruits to plump and absorb the liquid. Cool. Add the remaining ingredients, adding Marsala if needed. Store in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours adding more Marsala if needed. Taste and add more sugar also if needed.
To make cookies
- Heat oven to 350ºF/180ºC and baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- In the food processor place flour, raising powder, salt and butter. Pulse until crumbly. Adds white sugar. Pulse to mix. Add vanilla extract, lemon rind and eggs. Pulse to combine. I needed a dash of sweet sherry to bring it all together but that might have just been the weather. Only add a drop of milk or sweet sherry if you need it.
- Roll the dough out to about 5mm thickness and cut circle of about 6 or 7 cm in diameter. Place a teaspoon of filling in the middle of the rounds, dampen the edges with water and fold to close. Place the semi circles on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden about 12-15 mins.
- Cool and coat the tops with melted dark chocolate and sprinkle with decorations of choice.
- I can't buy vin cotto so my cousin told me what she does. First take a one litre bottle of white wine, an apple, a pear, an orange, 50g sugar and a cinnamon stick. Put the whole lot (fruit is left whole) in a saucepan and simmer until reduced to about 250ml.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. For accurate results, it is recommended that the nutritional information be calculated based on the ingredients and brands you use.