Plums are at the end of the season here in Australia. I noticed there were still a small amount of plums in the stores the other day when I was shopping. Plums are a luscious fruit and there are so many varieties. Earlier this year I came across these gorgeous plums called Croc Eggs. These are a relatively new variety of plums grown by the people at Montague Fresh and sold through Woolworths stores in Australia. Naturally sweet with a rich red flesh I knew these plums would be lovely in this German plum cake. The preferred plum for this German Plum cake is the Italian prune plum however I haven’t been able to find these for some time. Petite and sweet, sugar plums would also be perfect for this cake. I love the sweet tart flavour of this cake and while delicious with a cup of tea, a spoonful of Chantilly cream would be devine!
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter at room temp
- 1/3 cup sugar
- finely grated zest of a lemon
- 1 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 7 - 8 croc egg plums or enough plums of your choice to cover the dough, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven 200C/400F and butter and line a 13 x 9 inch (33 x 22cm) baking pan.
- Sift the flour and baking powder. In the bowl of a stand mixer beat the butter just until smooth.
- Add the sugar and beat for 2 or 3 minutes. Add the lemon zest and egg and beat well.
- Reduce the speed and alternately add the flour mixture in 3 additions with 2 additions of milk. Begin and end with flour. The dough will be stiff.
- Take spoonfuls of dough and drop evenly over the base of the baking pan. Using the back of a spoon (or buttered fingerspread the dough completely. It will be thin.
- Arrange the plums decoratively over the dough then brush with melted butter.
- Mix together the sugar and cinnamon for the topping and sprinkle thickly over the plums.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. The plum will have collapsed and the juices will bubble slowly. Cool in the pan
- Serve warm or at room temperature.