Green Bean Salad with Tomatoes and Creamy Feta
This Green Bean Salad with tomatoes and creamy feta is made with fresh green beans, cherry or grape tomatoes, and creamy Danish feta. A tangy homemade honey, mustard and lemon dressing brings the salad together. Serve it warm or cold for an easy side dish!
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time8 mins
Cooling time10 mins
Total Time48 mins
Servings: 8 people
- 800 grams green beans
- 250 grams cherry or grape tomatoes
- 125 grams marinated danish feta
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove (crushed or finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons toasted flaked almonds
Trim the end of the beans and cut into 5cm/2inch lengths.
Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil.
Add the beans and cook for 5-8 minutes until tender.
While the beans are cooking, cut the tomatoes halves or quarters depending on size and make the dressing. Cut the feta into small pieces.
Drain beans well.
While beans are still warm toss in the dressing. Allow to cool to room temp.
Gently combine tomatoes with the beans.
Add feta and mix until just combined.
Transfer to serving plate and sprinkle with toasted almonds.
Serve at room temperature.
How to cook green beans.
- Bring water to the boil.
- Trim both ends of the beans and cut into 5cm/2inch lengths.
- Add green beans to boiling water.
- Boil fast for 5-8 minutes.
- Taste to check for doneness at 5 minutes and check regularly if not done.
- When cooked to your taste, drain very well.
- Pat dry with some paper towel if still wet.
How to properly dress this salad.
Warm green beans absorb so much flavour so this is the time to add the dressing. Use a large bowl so that you can mix the warm green beans gently but thoroughly with the dressing. If you don't have a large enough bowl, use a large platter. This also ensures that the beans cool quickly and don't continue to cook. Please don't rinse the beans or you will rinse away flavour!
Make this recipe NUT FREE.
Substitute toasted pepitas for toasted flaked almonds.
Make this recipe DAIRY FREE.
Substitute black olives for feta.
Calories: 162kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 264mg | Potassium: 306mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 909IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 124mg | Iron: 1mg