Cherry Sauce using only 5 ingredients is easy to make at home using either fresh or frozen cherries. Perfect to use for cakes, cheesecakes, ice cream, pancakes, waffles or any dessert.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time10 mins
Servings: 6 people with cake, icecream or other dessert
- 2 cups fresh or frozen pitted cherries
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 6 teaspoons cornstarch (cornflour)
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
Place cherries, sugar and water into a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer.
Simmer for 2 minutes (if using fresh cherries you may need a few more minutes to slightly soften the cherries)
Mix cornstarch (cornflour) with water in a small bowl.
Lower the heat on the cherries, then pour in the cornstarch and water stirring all the time.
Increase heat to a simmer.
Cook until thick and clear about 2 minutes.
Pour into a small bowl to cool or glass jar to store in the refrigerator
Using canned cherries.
Yes, it's even more simple if you use canned cherries. The juice in the canned cherries is substituted for the water, lemon juice, and sugar. To make Cherry sauce with canned cherries here's what you do.
- Use two 415gram/15ounce cans of pitted black cherries in syrup.
- Heat in a saucepan until simmering.
- Add cornstarch/cornflour slurry as per the original recipe.
- Thicken and continue as per the original recipe.
Calories: 102kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 2mg | Potassium: 102mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 29IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 1mg