Pumpkin and Spinach Salad with Feta and Pepitas
This Pumpkin and Spinach salad has the additional flavour of feta and crunch of pepitas. Add a zingy dressing and you have delicious salad for all occasions.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Cooling time15 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 6 people
For the salad
- 1/2 red onion (sliced)
- 600 grams pumpkin (cut into cubes (see notes))
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 100 grams feta cheese
- 180 grams baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoon pepitas
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt to taste
Roast the onion and pumpkin
Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Line a baking tray with non stick baking paper.
Place onion and pumpkin on lined baking tray then drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt.
Toss to coat onion and pumpkin.
Roast in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Turn pumpkin and rearrange onion so that it is will cook evenly.
Roast for another 10-15 minutes or until the pumpkin is cooked through.
Remove and allow to come to room temperature.
In a jar put all the dressing ingredients except the salt.
Put the lid on the jar and shake dressing to combine well.
Season with salt to taste.
On a large plate arrange baby spinach leaves.
Scatter on roasted onions and pumpkin, tucking some under the leaves.
Crumble the feta over the salad and sprinkle with pepitas.
Drizzle over some of the dressing. Remaining dressing can be served separately.
- Pumpkin in Australia is butternut squash in the US. So if you hail from the US, use butternut squash. Aussie use your favourite pumpkin!
- I don't like to toss this salad because the pumpkin and feta can break up quite easily. Just arrange on a serving platter and offer extra dressing to diners who want more.
Calories: 194kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 418mg | Potassium: 568mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 4250IU | Vitamin C: 21.4mg | Calcium: 142mg | Iron: 1.8mg