Brown Rice Salad
A nutritious salad of brown rice, capsicum, currants, capers and nuts which is super quick and easy to prepare.
Prep Time12 mins
Cook Time3 mins
Total Time15 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 1/2 cups cooked brown rice (cooled (see notes))
- 2 cups bell pepper (finely diced (red capsicum))
- 1 cup spring onions (sliced)
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds (toasted (see notes)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (toasted (see notes))
- 1/2 cup parsley (finely chopped)
- 1/3 cup capers (rinsed)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (see notes)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- black pepper (freshly ground)
In a large bowl, place all the salad ingredients and mix thoroughly
In a small bowl mix together oil, lemon juice and garlic.
Pour dressing over the salad and mix to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Recheck seasoning before serving.
Serve at room temperature or cold.
- Use precooked/instant rice which comes in microwavable pouches for fast preparation.
- I purchased a 450g (1lb) pouch which gave me enough rice for this salad
- Alternatively boil 1 cup of brown rice in salted water for 40 minutes or until cooked through
- Blanched almonds have the skins removed
- Nuts can be toasted in a moderate oven for 10 minutes or in a frying pan over medium heat for a couple of minutes until lightly browned. I prefer a frying pan - much quicker.
- I used Australian measuring spoons which mean 1 tablespoon is 20mls. Be sure to check your tablespoon measure when adding the lemon juice. Or simply taste and adjust to your liking.
- Don't forget to add enough salt to bring out the flavors.
Calories: 369kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 281mg | Potassium: 493mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 2165IU | Vitamin C: 77.4mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 2.8mg