Chocolate Almond Cake
This flourless Chocolate Almond cake is known as Torta Caprese in Italy. As the name suggests it takes it's name from the island of Capri. It is gluten free by nature and is a delicious dessert that everyone can enjoy.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time55 mins
Total Time1 hr 25 mins
Servings: 12 servings
- 225 g dark chocolate ((see notes))
- 250 g almonds ((unblanched))
- 225 g unsalted butter (( softened))
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 eggs (separated)
- 2 tablespoon Strega Liqueur (optional see notes)
- pinch salt
- cocoa for dusting
Preheat oven to 160C/325F. Butter a 22cm/9 inch springfrom pan and line the base with non stick paper.
Melt the chocolate in a bowl over simmering water. Set aside to cool.
Grind the almonds in food processor until they resemble cornmeal but not as finely ground as flour. It's ok if it's a little more than cornmeal.
Using a stand mixer, beat the butter with half the sugar until smooth and well mixed.
Add yolks one at a time while the mixer is on low speed. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides.
Mix in the liqueur and then the ground almonds and salt. Use a spatula to scrape the bottom of the bowl to be sure all of the chocolate and almonds are mixed through.
If you have another bowl for your stand mixer use it for the egg white. Otherwise, scrape out the chocolate mixture into a large bowl and wash out the stand mixer bowl to prepare to beat the egg whites.
Beat the egg whites with a whisk attachment until soft peaks form.
Sprinkle in the remaining sugar and whisk until firm peaks form but the mixture is not dry.
Mix a third of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten. Then mix in the rest of the egg whites gently until no white traces remain.
Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 50/55 minutes until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out with just a few crumbs clinging.
Cool cake in the pan. When cool, run a knife around the edge and remove the ring.
Place the cake onto a serving plate and dust generously with cocoa.
- I use 70% cacao dark chocolate. If that's too bitter for you use 45-60%
- Strega is my preferred liqueur for this Chocolate Almond cake but you might prefer rum or a coffee liqueur like Kahlua
- This cake improves on keeping so get organised and make it the day before.
- If storing for longer than a day, cover and keep in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving
- Freeze by wrapping well in a double layer of plastic wrap.
Calories: 464kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 109mg | Sodium: 32mg | Potassium: 310mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 575IU | Calcium: 83mg | Iron: 3.3mg