Torta di Zucca
- 200 grams dried apricots
- 200 grams dried peaches
- 5 green apples peeled, cored and chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 cups steamed mashed pumpkin, use something like butternut
- 200 grams amaretti the crunchy type
- 375 grams sweet plain biscuits cookies
- 200 grams chocolate
- 2 cups sugar
- 7 eggs beaten
- 90 grams butter melted
- 1 cup sweet sherry
- 1 cup marsala
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 2 tablespoons almond essence
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 lemon rind only, grated
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- Simmer the apricots and peaches in a little water with the 2 tablespoons sugar for 10 minutes. Add the apples and cook until the apples are soft. Drain, reserving the liquid.
- Crush amaretti and plain biscuits with chocolate in the food processor.
- Puree the fruit in the food processor.
- Process the pumpkin also to ensure it is smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 275°F/135°C.
- Grease and line with nonstick parchment two 30cm x 20cm baking pans.
- Cool the fruit and pumpkin then add to the crushed biscuit/ chocolate mixture.
- Slowly mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Pour mixture into prepare pans and bake for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. The mixture should come away from the sides when it is ready. Turn out onto paper lined board to cool. Once cool wrap in baking paper and keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator. It will keep for several weeks.