Do you need a dessert that is fast AND delicious? Use your food processor to whip up a quick and impressive strawberry dessert! Be sure to pick strawberries that are fully ripe and sweet for best results. Serve with thick cream or good vanilla ice cream.
A buttery cake and glistening strawberry topping.
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 3/4 cup castor (superfine) sugar
- 125 g butter
- 2 eggs
- vanilla to taste
- 1/2 cup milk
- 500 g strawberries , washed, hulled and dried
- 1 cup pure icing sugar
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- strawberry jam (preferably homemade)
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F) and grease and flour a 23cm flan tin.
- Place flour, sugar and butter into food processor and process until the mixture is crumbly. Add eggs, vanilla and milk process until just combined. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes but it could need more.
- Remove cake from pan after 5 minutes resting. Cool cake then place inverted ( that is bottom side up) onto serving platter. Mix icing sugar and lemon juice with a little warm water until a spreadable consistency and smooth over cake and allow to set for 10 minutes or so. This layer will prevent the strawberry juices soaking too much into the cake and add extra sweetness. Arrange strawberries over cake. Warm strawberry jam and brush over strawberries and pouring in between strawberries.
- Refrigerate until set. Serve with cream or vanilla icecream.