Why should you make Panforte?
The ingredients you need for this recipe are simple.
- dried or candied fruit
An important tip on how to make this recipe perfect.
The most important step not to skip is the toasting of the nuts. Just 10 minute in a moderately hot oven will bring out the flavour of nuts. Whenever you cook or bake with nuts, be sure to toast first. It’s a simple step that makes all the difference.
How to make Panforte with Figs and Nuts.
- Toast nuts and chop fruit.
- Mix in dry ingredients.
- Stir through sugar, honey and chocolate. It will be hard to mix but that’s just right.
- Press into prepared pan and bake.
This is a recipe that is totally up to your taste. I have used figs, candied orange slices, almonds and hazelnuts because that’s what I like. You could use any combination of dried or candied fruit and nuts. Change the spices if you prefer something different. Just remember to keep to the measurements in the recipe. You can’t go wrong. This is a no-fail recipe.
Why not try:-
- candied ginger, citron or other candied fruits.
- dates, raisins, sultanas or currants.
- walnuts, pistachios or pecans.
- black or white pepper, cardamom, coriander or chilli powder.
- white or milk chocolate.
These are just a few suggestions but this recipe is limited just to your imagination.
This Panforte with Figs and Nuts is great to keep in the refrigerator for unexpected guests.
The best part about this recipe is that it actually is better if it’s made a few days before serving. The flavours develop and the cake sets for better slicing. So, make this and keep in the refrigerator and you’ll never be caught out without anything to serve. Don’t just reserve this for coffee but add it to a cheeseboard to have with drinks or after dinner.
Remember to click on ‘US Customary’ in the recipe card for measurement conversions.
Do you want more Christmas or entertaining recipes? Try these.
Crostoli or Angel’s wings
Italian Fig Cookies
Gingerbread Cupcakes from Sugar Salt Magic
Vegan Chocolate Shortbread from A Baking Journey
Snowman Chocolate Bark from Sweet Caramel Sunday
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Panforte with Fig and NutsPrint Pin Rate
- 1 cup blanched almonds toasted
- 1 cup hazelnuts nuts toasted
- 1 cup chopped dried figs stems discarded
- 1/2 cup chopped candied orange slices
- 1 cup plain flour
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 100 grams dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 160°C/320°F. Grease and line a 23cm/9in springform pan.
- Combine nuts, figs and candied orange slices in a large bowl.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, spices, and salt and combine with nut mixture.
- Combine the honey and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to the boil then simmer for 3 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir through the chocolate until melted then remove from heat.
- Pour into the bowl with the flour mixture, nuts, and fruit and mix until well combined.
- You will find that once you add the chocolate, and remaining ingredients the mixture becomes quite firm and you will need some muscle to mix it. That all as it should be.
- Press the mixture into a prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool in pan before turning out and slicing.