This Date and Walnut cake is an old classic Australian recipe using an unusual cylindrical baking pan.
- 1 cup chopped dried dates
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda or bicarb soda
- 30 g butter
- 1 cup boiling water from the kettle
- 1 egg beaten a little
- 2 cups plain flour sifted
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl place dates, sultanas, sugar, baking soda and butter.
- Pour over boiling water, mix and let stand until cool
- Once cool mix in egg, flour, spice and walnuts.
- Mix until it is just combined.
- Butter the nut roll tins well ensuring both lids are coated. Seal one end of each tin and place on a baking tray. Fill each with half of the mixture ( it will rise). Seal with the top lid. Keep tins upright and on the baking tray (makes it easier to transfer to the oven and remove).
- Bake at 175C for 55 minutes.