Granola, Malt and Dark Chocolate! Almost sounds like breakfast, doesn’t it? Almost sounds good-for-you, don’t you think? Put granola, malt and dark chocolate into a crunchy cookies and you have a delicious treat that IS almost good-for-you!
Cookies or Biscuits?
The other night I was having dinner with my girlfriends at a lovely, local restaurant where we gather once a month to catch up. We talk about our husbands (all good, I promise!), our kids, how infuriatingly busy we are and then invariably, the conversation turns to food. So the subject was cookies or “biscuits’ to us Aussies. Food makes us all talk at once. We three Australian girls swooned over crisp cookies while our South African born friend declared her love of chewy cookies. Obviously, I don’t think we realised that the texture of a cookie is such a personal thing!
These Granola, Malt and Dark Chocolate cookies are perfection!
Granola, malt and dark chocolate combine in these cookies to make a mouthful of absolute goodness. Use my homemade granola recipe to make these cookies perfect. The result is a crunchy, sweet treat that you can enjoy with your morning coffee to get you through to lunch.
So now, I want to ask you, do you prefer a crisp or chewy cookie? Do you think it’s a nationality thing? I think so.
These Granola, Malt and Dark Chocolate Cookies baked as per the recipe result in crisp cookies ( I’m Australian, remember!). But you like them chewy – no problem – bake the cookies a little less and let me know how you like them.
These huge cookies are choc full of goodness and yumminess. Make your own granola using my recipe or buy a good quality one.
- 7 oz unsalted butter (at cool room temperature) (1 3/4 sticks)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup castor sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups plain flour
- ¾ cup malted milk powder
- 1 cup dark chocolate chopped coarsely
- 1 ¼ cups granola plus more for sprinkling, see notes
Preheat oven to 325°F/160°C) and line large baking trays with non stick paper.
- Beat butter, brown sugar and castor sugar with an electric mixer until well combined, about 4 minutes.
- Add egg, egg yolk and vanilla and beat until lightened in colour.
- In a small bowl combine bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and water.
- With the mixer on low add bicarbonate mixture, flour and malted milk powder to the butter mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Stir through dark chocolate and granola.
- Using a 1/4 cup, measure the dough and place evenly onto lined baking trays. You will probably have to bake in batches using half the dough at a time.
- Flatten the tops of the cookies and sprinkle with extra granola.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Granola is a main ingredient in these gorgeous cookies so it's important that it's a really good granola - use my recipe or buy a quality granola.